would any 5 bolt chainring fit any 5bolt crank?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
ive got a shimano crank for my singlespeed project.. im wanting to use a different chainring as the originals were biopace ones :roll: in theory does any 5 bolt fit a 5 bolt crank?

no, for mountain bikes there are 2 standards.

94BCD or "compact" (which is the newer type)
or 110BCD or "ATB" (which is the older type.)

If your current rings are biopace, I wuld have thought they were the older standard.

hmmmm cheers dude.... id like a to run a 4 bolt chain ring realy but i dont know what crank to use??

5 bolt are better, you know. The only reason 4 bolt came out was because it was cheaper to make.
Spa Cycles sell excellent quality Stronglight chainrings for singlespeeds for £8. Bargain!

It should be possible to use a biopace blade in a singlespeed setup, the chain engages half the number of teeth on the blade no matter of its position. So the number of chain links engaged by the blade will always be the same, resulting in no major variations in chain tension.
That's my theory at least.

I have, so far , found at least 6 different chainring sizes for road cranks

For your Shimano - look out for 130mm Bolt Circle Diameter BCD if they are road cranks, 110 or 94 if not

they are mtb cranks.... im looking for a tidy chainring but still somthing that looks nice for what it is if ya know what i mean?? and i think sheldon brown used to run biopace chainrings on his fixie :)

and to the post by dookie im aware now that not all 5 bolt chainrings fit. but i didnt know there was a difference in bcd , hence i asked.

Honestly, try the Stronglight ones I mentioned. They look expensive and cool.
I assumed you were using 110 or 130 BCD rings if they were Biopace, and the Stronglight ones are in both those sizes.
Did I say they were £8 each?

retrowagen1234":w5120a21 said:
they are mtb cranks.... im looking for a tidy chainring but still somthing that looks nice for what it is if ya know what i mean?? and i think sheldon brown used to run biopace chainrings on his fixie :)

and to the post by dookie im aware now that not all 5 bolt chainrings fit. but i didnt know there was a difference in bcd , hence i asked.

The 'new' compact drive road stuff is 110 BCD - they can have a very nice finish and look good

Back