Muddy Fox Explorer - circa '88

country_boy

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and not hard a core biker, so please excuse my lack of technical knowlege...

My dad bought a new Muddy Fox Explorer years ago, think it was around '88... anyway, I always used it as a kid (even with his mudguards and home strung rear rack!), was/is a great bike. I've had it the last few years and got it back on the road after years of neglect/storage :roll: Oh and got rid of the rack/grandpa spring seat he used on it! Still a tatty but great bike.

I love and know the bike so well, but time has taken it's toll on me and the bike! I don't ride much, certainly not off road like I used to - the bottom bracket had to be replaced recently and it seems the old oval front sprockets' teeth (O rings?) are worn out, any pressure up a hill and the chain comes off on the front on inner and middle (hoped the bracket replacement was all that was needed to fix that). So looks like I have to get circular full drive set/chain/rear cogs. The bike's in the shop now but I've got a week to make my mind up whether to get the work done or keep it as is and store away for more years/sell it. (they're spot on in the shop btw and I'll be keeping original parts if work done).

I love the oval/original way it was/is, so am worried I'm not gonna like the "new" bike. So please can anyone tell me if you can still get the original ovals nowadays or if I'm not doing the right thing here by replacing any bits? I'd like to keep riding it but maybe it's worth more if I didn't piss about with it?

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received,

Cheers
CB

You can get replacement rings that will fit the crankset. A set of three will cost you about £50 - they may well not be oval unless you can find some old ones somewhere that never got used.

The explorer is proper rare these days - so it's definitely worth keeping, unless you'd like me to look after it for you :cool:

retro tale: My best friend ordered an explorer in 88. It got squished in the factory by a fork lift truck - so they sent him the next model up, the "aluminium" instead. When it arrived he raced out to try it out on the local BMX track. Never having had Q/R wheels before he didn't realise the front wheel was undone. It fell out, he fell off. That bike is still on the road today, now owned bu his sister.

My Dad has a bright Orange Muddy Fox. I think it's about to become my second project.

:D Lets see pictures. I had a 19'' explorer from around the same time. Great bike :cool:

I can't think of any places still selling biopace rings (this was what they were called) but if you post a wanted here or keep an eye on ebay you'll find some. The rings quickly fell out of favour as people complained about sore knees and shimano reverted back to the more regular round rings.

Actually SJScycles.com have some small granny rings still available.

Highpath Engineering can make them for you, but for about £65 each! :shock:
Someone here will have good secondhand ones. Best to put an advert up in the wanted section.

Latest posts

Back