Who made the very first titanium frame for MTB's / Road bike

Not sure of the first, but I think Mike Ausperger and the rest of them that went off and started Merlin were among the first. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Chris Chance had said Ti wasn't a viable production material and they all went off and formed Merlin Metalworks and somewhere else in a parallel universe Litespeed were doing the same thing.

Can't remember which member of the Merlin bunch it was but one of them recalls bumping into 'Mr Litespeed' at a trade show with pretty much the same prototype he had and both being kind of shocked.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that and there were no doubt loads of people that were doing it and didn't get the credit etc...but that's what I remember hearing about anyway.

Marin Ti was 1st mtb if I recall correctly. Somewhere in/around 88

Aw, come on guys...I thought we had some real history buffs here?

The first recorded Ti frame was by Teledyne and monikered the Titan...

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Te ... _titan.htm

Bill Grove began Titron Titanium components around '76 and was one of the first component makers to use the magic metal.

I know he built a TI mtb around '84. Anyone know of an earlier effort?

cheers,

rody

Didn't Speedwell do Ti road and track bikes in the late 60s/early 70s?

I'm sure Luis Ocana won the Tour on one as well.

Some truth in some posts here :)

Teledyne did make the first Ti frame that was ever classed as a 'production' model, but Ed is right in that Speedwell produced the first Ti bikes. Speedwells frames were welded by Lamborghini and were being made back in the 60's. And yes, Ocana rode one during the 70's.

"Ocaña obtuvo nueve victorias parciales con una bicicleta que por primera vez utilizaba piezas de titanio." Tour 1973.

Tour 1973, Ocaña won 9 stage victories with a bike that used titanium parts for the first time. Doesn´t say if it was the frame or what bike it was, only that it was painted orange.

Back