lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
spurred on by today's "show us your rts thread here i got busy in the shed this evening.

its really easy to create something like this yourself. all you need is a few stella's, some rattle cans and a shed full of rubbish. i'm quite impressed that after building the khs out of leftovers i still had enough bits to nearly build this too!

i'm calling this poverty spec. here it is

dxny55.jpg

352iubs.jpg

in all seroiusness some of the parts will be on this when its finished properly such as the kore bar and stem, mag 21 sl ti's, rear tyre.

comments welcome

just thought i'd give a quick run down on the bike as it stands.

the frame was bought off ebay and came from a guy literally 2 doors away from pickle - neither guy knowing there were 2 retro gt fans on the same road. he also has the same christian name as pickle so when the address came up i was convinced i was off to see our very own mr gt.

the frame was sat in my shed doing not a lot. a mate is in need of a bike and i owe him a favour so i decided to build it up for him.

i had began to polish the frame but it was at the stage where it just looked a mess so i have given it a very light dusting of paint. it will come off no problem (i hope...) the rear end is black to make it look like the more desireable early steel rear end and the front is matt yellow. paintwork was done on the washing like in the dark last night so its not exactly concourse...

there is no headset in the pics but longun has kindly donated one so i can mount the mag 21 sl ti forks properly. i think they are going to get the matt yellow treatment soon as well. so far the only part i have had to buy is the bottom bracket. that is holding onto an icon chainset which was a karma freebie from geetee61.

seatpost and clamp are also karma, donated a while ago from maxtherotti. saddle was actually given to me in the early 90's by the mate who is borrowing the bike.

bars and stem are kore aluminium and were intended for this build anyway.

i dont have a pair of shifters but i have found a right hand thummy so i might do a 7 speed build or i might stick on a sram rocket left hand shifter just to get it going. i'll have a word with gaz and see how many gears he needs.

brakes are a set of curve cantis which had been on my fire mountain since almost day one and i'd totally forgotten i had. mechs are 739 xt's.

wheels are el cheapies araya rims on alivio hubs but they spin and they are true, just a tad heavy. rear tyre is a panaracer smoke and front is a magic.

just need grips, cables, chain and air in the forks.

future plans will be fully polished frame and forks, black lx groupset kore bits, mayby some onza bits too. onza, kore and gt seem to go well together.

cheers.

pumped up the forks last night and they hold air. cash back!

with a sober eye i now realise the rattle can filler primer look is not a good one so its back to the drawing board on that. before i get too involved i need to have a chat with my mate to see of he can weld up a small crack near the pivot on the bottom bracket.

the frame welded easily and a good job was done too.

i stripped the filler primer off and started the rub down for paint but got bored and started smoothing off the welds instead.

i then bought another frame so this one has sat unloved in my shed for too long.

it is now sold to another forum user and is still local so at least i'll see it being used again.

he has pledged to continue smoothing off the welds. i think its going to look pretty cool.

good luck with it

lewis1641":3scpok5j said:
just thought i'd give a quick run down on the bike as it stands.

the frame was bought off ebay and came from a guy literally 2 doors away from pickle - neither guy knowing there were 2 retro gt fans on the same road. he also has the same christian name as pickle so when the address came up i was convinced i was off to see our very own mr gt.

One was not impressed when one found this information out! :LOL:

Back