My 'Massif' Rebuild

dunketh

Retro Newbie
First off, Hi to everyone.
I didnt see a 'Project' section so have just lobbed this in here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2016308&id=1000050758&l=12516db6c3

You never see these around anymore. I've managed to spot a couple on ebay over the years but thats about it. I believe the frame was used on other models - can anyone confirm? I love the fact there's no welding shown and the tubing seems incredibly strong.

As a bit of background, this was my 2nd mountain bike. Originally my Dad's. He gave it to me when he got fed up of me breaking my Apollo (1st bike). lol.
I must have owned it nearly 20 years now, with the exception of replacement parts it has done me proud... I only wish my cars lasted as long!

Ah, the ubiquitous Massif.
People sneer at the lower end of the Raleigh mountain bike range, but IMO they were well designed and solidly built. Much more honest than a new, cheap mountain bike nowadays.
Very nice job, well done. I hope you enjoy working on it.

Loved working on it. Most fun I've had since selling my old Moggy Minor. lol. I think I've got the bug as I keep looking at 1980s marins and the like on ebay.
Shame I couldnt keep the original chainset but needs must and all that...
:( I needed a 'free' daily hack and this was it.

I thought about buying the correct colours and trying to re-create the original paint job but it would have been nigh impossible imho.

It's a slippery slope! You'll have to build a new shed to house your new projects in 6 months.
I have a chainset you can have for your Raleigh. FOC, of course, just pay for postage. Or have you sorted something now?

Thanks for the offer. I used the front crank and some other parts from an old ladies Apollo bike.
I have no love for Apollo cycles but was impressed the bottom bracket was the perfect fit to my Raleigh. Good old Halfords! :D
Definately going to do another bike though, hopefully a proper resto not just 'cover it in red paint' but try and restore it to its original glory.
Bike bits are so much cheaper than car bits and you dont need as much space - just a living room and an absent wife! :LOL:

Back