Bontrger Race project (Updated Pictures page 2)

AtomicAtom

Retro Guru
UPDATED, now with a spec sheet!

The Bontrager steel frames have always been on the top of my list as a bike I wanted to own. Recently I was able to make that a reality. In a local classified I saw someone looking to sell. I didn't have the cash but only a very nicely spec'd modern Vicious Monolith. I hadn't used it much since I had built it up several seasons before, so I made a deal with my new pal GoldenEraMtb. He swapped me the Bontrager set as a single speed but included a suspension fork, and a host of parts to tune the bike as I saw fit with gears. See his original post about the bike Here

At first there was some confusion and he thought it was a Race Lite, but upon research we discovered that it was actually a Race frame. I momentarily lost my mind and almost called off the deal. Fortunately I realized I was an insane fool and the trade continued smoothly.

My Identity question is about year. I need a Bontrager geek to tell me what year this well made machine is from. I've done a bit of research but haven't got all the facts. It's clearly a Race frame though, the small black marks on the head tube are actually cable rubs notched into the paint (I don't really have a direct shot of this see GoldenEra's post linked just above).

I have ridden it half a dozen times off road now and switched up the parts in all directions. I submit its current set up for this forums members to peruse and comment on. I warn this is not a period build, although there are some choice parts hanging from it.

3600007992_c741cb35a8_b.jpg

Here she is with her rigid fork on. Vicious canti that tracks like a jackal in the woods. I have a Atom Bomb(er) fork which I stripped off the decals and polished that works extremely well with this whole set up.

3599198603_89208449b3_b.jpg

3599200115_047003c441_b.jpg

The decals are in rough shape. Really about the most eye-sore part of the bike. I plan on replacing them in the fairly near future, from Gil of coarse. The paint on this bike seems to be quite thick. There are several nicks and gouges in the paint but none seem to be too heinous. I figure when I strip the decals for replacement I will be able to give the paint a nice buff and polish. Should look sharp when I'm through.

3599201683_4bfefe55b6_b.jpg

My first upgrade on bike was to remove the black LX crank that still had the big and middle rings attached and replace it and the shimano bb with this thing of beauty. White Industries Eno crank with a 32t ring. The bb is now a Phil Wood ti. I figure if I ever gear up the rear end I will keep the crank and run a 1x8. Keeping the crank from popping off is a gold anodized Speed Metal bolt. A friend of mine gave me this, as he only had one, from his days living in Colorado where Speed Metal was manufacturing small bits like this. It matches the headset nicely, and now chain.

3600009668_9f1fd7a793.jpg
3599202083_886429a5bb.jpg

The wheelset is Mavic X138 rims laced to Paul single speed hubs painted orange for the Bianchi B.O.S.S. from some years ago. The color of the paint matches almost perfectly. I (edit)have on order(edit) a White Industries Eno rear wheel in order to make it run smoothly without having to use the singulator. I currently (edit)have(edit) a White Industries Duo freewheel with a 17and 19 tooth cog. I am very taken with the WI parts, well made and beautiful.

3600008202_c80134113f.jpg
3600008444_11110e7776.jpg

Here in the front I have the most recent set up. Easton Monkey lite carbon and a thing of elegant beauty, the Moots ti stem. Add the Love levers and we are cookin'.

3599202431_cac41478aa.jpg

Finally here in the rear attached to the XTR V is one of those roller thingies that I have no idea who made it. Any one know? Just to round out the list if you've read this far, I have a gel ti Flite and a selection of seat posts. Currently with a newer Ringle post, I have a polished Bontrager post and a Syncros post ready to crack and set me on my ass.

UPDATED, now with a spec sheet!

Frame: Bontrager Race

Fork: Marzocchi Atom Bomb

Headset: Schirs King in Gold
Stem: Moots Ti
Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite Carbon
Grips: Pedros

Brakes: XTR v's
Brake Levers: Paul Love Levers

Freewheel: White Industries Dos 17/19
Chain: Izumi
Cranks: White Industries Eno
Crank Bolts: Speed Metal
Chainrings: White Industries
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood Ti
Pedals: Crank bros.

Hub Skewers: Syncros
Rims: Mavic X138
Hubs: Paul fhub and word orange paint
Tyres: Michelin

Saddle: Bontrager C30
Seatpost: Ringle or Bontrager Race

Not really into singlespeeders but ... Really really like that, love the colour matched hubs :cool:

That Moots stem is beautiful :cool:

Cool bike you have there fella.. :)

Looks the same as mine, which I believe is a 1995, anybody else confirm? The 94 ones had the cable roller for the front mech IIRC.

Cool bike! What size is it?

Niiiiice.

Cable roller is a Caramba I think, and those hubs are awesome!

God build, looks quick, and fun, they are great handling frames, good geometry.

The frame is a Large. I wasconcerned about this initially because I am just over 6' 2" and all my other frames have a 19" seat tube. For some reason though the bike doesn't feel too small. I can toss it around on a trail as it was made to do.

I have seen the Forward components EBB but didn't know they have a square taper proto! I stayed away from them because it wasn't square and I wanted the Eno cranks. I would surely be interested in one. Do you know anything more about the availability of such a part?

He posted a thread in the MTBR single speed section and I also confirmed it by email. He said the proto parts will be ready in a couple weeks.

Missing Brake Studs!

I almost forgot, I have a weird problem with this bike. Their are no brake studs on the rear! I just have long bolts that bolt to the frame. I have looked in all my local shops but can not find this odd sized brake stud. It is very thin on the threaded size, literally the same size as a bolt that would attach the brake to the stud. Where can I find a set of studs to go in the back? I may have to take a picture so you all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Re: Missing Brake Studs!

I know what you are talking about, all Bontrager frames use brake posts like that. You can shoot Rock Lobster an email see if they have anything left.

Not a 100% certain here but I vaguely remeber that are like the size of a 16mm chain ring washer. I'll have to go home and check.

McMaster Carr may have something that fits too, although I haven't looked.

AtomicAtom":2f8hl9h6 said:
I almost forgot, I have a weird problem with this bike. Their are no brake studs on the rear! I just have long bolts that bolt to the frame. I have looked in all my local shops but can not find this odd sized brake stud. It is very thin on the threaded size, literally the same size as a bolt that would attach the brake to the stud. Where can I find a set of studs to go in the back? I may have to take a picture so you all know exactly what I'm talking about.

Back