Mag Wheels

busbug

Retro Newbie
can anybody tell me about these wheels

found them in the back of my garage but cant remember if they are old or modern or how long ive had them

they are yellow mags from germany and are stamped F.I.S/CMC

cheers

IMG_0242.jpg

hope this help

thanks for the reply

don't know the exact make of those as lot of companies made copy of top mags at the time - but the originals are OJK's and also Peregrine - with GREAT and Star-X doing a lesser copy as well

with top end mags it's the plastic and nylon mix that makes them strong - lesser mags had less nylon mix and so are less strong and less desirable

you can try and clean them up - this entails - stripping - cleaning brake marks off and bleaching - re-greasing - rebuilding (let me know if you intend to do this and i can help and talk you through it )

here are some mags i know of ;) there are more out there and lots are from the US

OGK'S (must have ogk impressed into brake rub area on the rim to be real and not a copy)

ZYTEC AERO's (just like skyways, but has two extra veins on each spoke, and a solid looking hub - will polish up a treat )

ACS Z-MAGS ( nice looking and up to the job - spoked rims are nylon/plastic and sort after)

GT MAGS 5 spoke ( look same as above but has extra fin on one side of spoke - came out later end of 80's )

GT MAG 3 spoke ( later 80's not so popular but can look cool on the right ride)

PERIGRINE MAGS - similar to ogk's and more found in the US

ACCORN MAGS - (couple of different designs out there - thinner in design to skyways and not so strong - good looking on none rider - will wobble with weight on them )

RALEIGH MAGS (still strong but has more plastic to it - bearings can get crunchy)

STAR -X ( ogk style - more plasticy but are ok for cruzin)

BERNADI ( Found on some mag burners - twin 5 spoke - some have a line ripple design and some plain - often came with a wobble built into it when made - don't buy unless restoring a mag 20

GREAT MAGS ( ogk style - heavy but solid - kids and cruzin mag)

SIMPLEX (seven spoke found on some Raleigh's - looks a bit like a wagon wheel )

SATELLITE (can come in a three spoke wavy design - not the best looking )

SHIDT EBAY PLASTIC CRAPP MAG WHEELS - DON'T BUY THESE AT ANY COST THEY LOOK A BIT LIKE SKYWAYS BUT HAVE TWO EXTRA BITS OF PLASTIC BETWEEN THE SPOKES - THEY ARE SHIDT - made of plastic and no nylon at all - if you hit a curb or rock they can shatter and are so dangerous - can be found all over eBay for around £20-£40 - leave well alone

There are lots of other mags out there from metal Eagle mags, moto mags - and lots of copy plastic one's out there

(just worked out i have over 22 sets of mags from the above list )

cheers B ;)

Back