custom charges aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg

when i imported mt LTS i got stung for £70 on a £270 purchace, also got stung on a set of disc brakes that were £40 and got hit for £17 , i think from recolection parcil force also stick an £8 delivery and handeling fee on there too for paying the import to get it through cusstoms.

Winsumlosesum...

My CroMega sneaked through without charge last week... s'weird, but I'm not complaining!

Neil

Got charged £30+ for the kestrel frame that cost £235 and £7.50 for the XT that cost £25, but luckily not the trimble that cost a lot more [PHEW], Yup it really is random and |I still think it is wrong to charge for 10-15+ year old second hand gear.

I have had americans ask me to mark stuff as 'Made in USA' before to pass customs, do you think we should ask them to mark as 'Made in UK' to see if we don't get stung ?

retrobikeguy":2qtvgrln said:
I have had americans ask me to mark stuff as 'Made in USA' before to pass customs, do you think we should ask them to mark as 'Made in UK' to see if we don't get stung ?

What we should do is get them to mark the actual purchase price we paid and provide documentation to back it up because that way, if we do get hit, we get hit for the correct and fair amount, not an estimate based on what customs thinks that the parts may or may not be worth, which seems to be the problem in most cases here.

You're right though, why should VAT be payable on a 15 year old product? Local sales tax would have been paid originally. Its not a just system.

If you have to pay VAT, then it should be payed at the rate that would have been applicable if you had bought the product when new. I don't know what that was in the early nineties...15% ? When did it go up?

WHY DO WE PAY TAX AT ALL !!!!!!!

just so some lazy fat bastards in london dont have to do any " real " work

see you started me off now ;)

Death & ...
I think the only way to really swerve any over charging is for the vendor to specify the actual [or perhaps reduced] cost of the item in transit. My GBP33.31 duty could have been alot more had the dude in the US specified how much the Disk Drive actually cost.. Of course that affects insurance amounts too in the event of a Loss..

I did have a rant planned but have pulled my head back in ;)

is there a uk contact number for usps they tried to deliver my forks today at 2.50 my wife was in all day she never herd anyone at the door and they didnt leave a redelivery card.
thwang

THWANG-666":2ga1a0go said:
is there a uk contact number for usps they tried to deliver my forks today at 2.50 my wife was in all day she never herd anyone at the door and they didnt leave a redelivery card.
thwang

It's normally Parcel force who deliver once it gets into the country and through customs, you'll probably get a letter from them soon. That's what's happened to me in the past.

Back