converting a 6 speeder

I dont doubt LGF - after all he's the king of reworking & recycling. I just added caution based on my experience. It was a thick dropout - alumin frame. Also, my mech was bought in the early 90's and might have hailed from the days when 8 speed didnt exist and so was built for 7, but I managed to squeeze it to an 8. 9 spd would have been no more than a concept in some marketeers mind.

The width of 9spd is exactly the same as 8spd - not sure why you would have had trouble.

I had a 1988 Deore mech running with a 9spd cassette with no trouble.

Just measured a 300EX road mech (same as the Carrera) - it has a reach of approx 45mm

a 9spd cassette is approx 40mm deep

An early Mountain LX mech reach measures approx 45mm

This is with the adjuster screws at maximum settings.

Gap between mech bolt and cassette on random bikes around the garage measures at about 2.5mm

Parrallelogram slant angle measures the same between new Deore and old Mountian LX mech/ 300EX mech.

maybe I just lost patience and all too quickly decided I wanted a new road mech! I dunno. But am likely to have a winter bike project coming up soon, so maybe able to reconfirm then.

I guess to summarise, I was talking \lsnfzdfvj. (and to think it was you who had a few drinkies last nite (other post))

Thanks for the reply guys...most interesting.
I guess it is deciding what to do. I have no prob's with staying 6 speed so interested in the idea of campag ergo levers....they will work with shimano rear mech ok?

Monseiur cheese....Is having the frame widened an easy job for most frame builders?
I also have a shimano 600 rear mech which is 7 speed...Is that going to work ok? Going to 8 speed am I going to be ok running the existing chain?
Ergo levers like these any use?:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campagnolo-Veloce ... 7C294%3A50

Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Your bike was built as a 6 speed and will work well as a 6speed I wouldn't bother trying to squeeze in more gears. Down tube shifters are very reliable. I run a 6 speed with Simplex retrofriction levers and I prefer it to my sti Peugeot enough to have given the Peugeot away. Leave it as it is save your money for another bike. It's good to have a bit of diversity. A friend of mine had about 6 bikes and essentially through conversions etc he ended up with 6 bikes that were the same.

losidan":15t5p55m said:
I have no prob's with staying 6 speed so interested in the idea of campag ergo levers....they will work with shimano rear mech ok?
yep, no probs provided that everything at the back is shimano. Worked for me like out the box both when its all clean and new and after a few years of winter grime.

Monseiur cheese....Is having the frame widened an easy job for most frame builders?
dont necessarily copy me, but Ive done a number of widening and narrowing jobs just by standing on the frame and pulling it apart by hand. its only a few mm, but be gentle.
ive not opened the link, but the title would suggest 9 speed. If so, then no, thats not what I meant. they have to be 8 speed, which has more cable pull per shift than 9. Unfortunately, getting quite rare now. I'll ask my mate if he want s to sell his Chorus which he last used around 1998 if you want.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have some spare 8 spd RSX STi

a scissor action car-jack does the widening for me. In most cases, the frame will need hardly any movement at all and flexes enough by hand.

That's a neat approach that I hadn't thought of... :D
I've always heard of the 'wood and levering' technique, but th ejack sounds more controllable.

Alternatively get a stubby bottle jack and you can use it both for stealing bikes and then for modding them afterwards :twisted:

Back