Full repair job OR NOS purchase?

scant":3c0k0t6o said:
admittadly getting the slop outta old mechs takes the skills of my BA engineer mate & is probabily beyond the realms of what is normally considered repairable ;)
Does it involve hitting it with a hammer? maybe I'll leave it then.
I'll investigate the anodising thing further as I've some scuffed cranks that I was thinking could either be polished up or re-anodised.

Yeah I have some M900 xtr that need some serious buffing up. I understand that these were lacquered or treated someway so therefore need to remove this finish... either a dremel job or emery paper I guess....:(

r.mech slop. drill the old pivots out, & re-fit new steel pins.
crank polish. depends on how bad the finish is. if its just heel rub 3M scotchbrite.
I've just dremelled powder coat off some cranks, gonna be a b'std polishin them back up again ;)

cranks?

Polished one or two.
Best way to a tip top finish I have found is to file/sand/scotchbrite/use a drill and compounder type wheel buff, then finish off with some AutoGlym paint restorer with a lambswool bonnet.
Super shiney!! :cool:

Gaf 16 had some anodising redone.

i've tried the dremmel route when polishing cranks and, unless you are prepared to spend 6 years faffing around, i would suggest taking them to a polisher.

to be honest, most polishing companies want a minimum charge which, at £25, is too much in my opinion.

however, if you phone around, you can still turn up a gem or two.

i found a local polisher, working out of a shack, who linished and mirror polished my white industries cranks for £3.

he is also more than happy to do other small polishing jobs for me in the future!

i much prefer the restore route, as it gives you more pleasure when you see the finished build.

What interests me most is the debate about wet painting versus powder coating.

most experts would say wet painting gives the best finish, however, in my experience, powder coating has given a better finish.

i think you need to pay top wack for a pristine wet paint finish.

Maybe we could have a restoration tips section ??

do have one i used on the RTS for the MAG stickers
work on doing some step by step pix tommorow if anyone is interested
need to refresh the QUADRA`S as well

slim

NOS or elbow grease?

I'm fairly new to this retro bike malarkey and like so many of us, it all spawned from finding my old bike tucked away and bringing it back to life. In the short time I have been feeding my habit I have been through all sorts of methods of restoring bikes. I even tried to get a replica part CNC'd!

Most of my bikes have been a mix of buffing and cleaning and sourcing old parts.

The longest project I have been working on is my 1992 Explosif Pro. It all started when I found a pair of NOS Futureshock forks and thought it would be a jolly good idea to build a NOS bike! It has full NOS XC Pro groupset (apart from the thumbies and rear mech) which cost me over £800. Now i probably paid over the odds in my nieve excitment but nowadays NOS seems to me to be a quick but expensive route and, as Scant opened with, some of my most treasured bikes have been bought to life with mainly time and effort.

Here endeth the sermon!

Adam,

You'll hate to see where I took your precious project Hot then this weekend! HAHA!

Only joking - it was very dry...

OT: Here it is: ready for the hammering it got. It rode very well and I was more amazed at how my "thought was worn out" xtr rear mech, shifters and brakes were - they worked great. Forks work superb too and was quite surprised how good they felt compared with Judys etc.

hot.jpg

Back