build finished..fat city slim chance new pics pg.2

Slim chance

whow, cant wait to see the end product on this :cool:

i had a 98 Slim Chance(Chris Chance) painted at the factory to look like an earlier one.

The ride was awesome. it was only after riding newer Ti road bikes etc i realised how damn good my Slim was..I am am a fool for selling it.

Now looking for another in 56cm ;)

The Mavic cranks were the most attractive ever, in my view. Shimano stuff tends to look overstyled. Number two would be old square taper Campag Chorus / Record.

hamster":1y2zd20r said:
The Mavic cranks were the most attractive ever, in my view. Shimano stuff tends to look overstyled. Number two would be old square taper Campag Chorus / Record.

agreed

& theres a couple sets of them on the 'bay right now if your still looking, im thinking about picking up a set for the klein, i already have one pair on my steelie and absolutely love them, but im considering just going with a new external BB style crankset, because i hear theyre stiffer.... tough decision right there.

ether way good luck on your search, that slim chance is STUNNING! it will definitely turn a few heads.

Hello, just a word of warning, i am a maintenace mechanic and if you are ordering mavic parts direct, such as wheels,rims and hubs, if you purchase and they turn out faulty, you could be waiting the best part of half a year for replacements

Sam

I'm trying to cobble together a Mavic Group for my '89 Cannondale 3.0. I'm going to really geek out and repaint it in the Mavic yellow neutral support scheme. They just started using C'dales...

Neutral support bikes have the frame size on 'em so the mech can 'eyeball' and grab the right size in a hurry. Neutral support only carries 54, 56, and 58cm to my understanding. What will make it hilarious is that I ride a 66cm.

I'm looking forward to people asking about the bike on the bike paths, "I don't know where it came from, its not my bike...I went down hard earlier and my bike was unrideable and this yellow car pulled up, gave me this, and told me to keep riding, so I did."

So fare I've been able to acquire:

501 36h Front hub
821 8 Speed Indexing Shifters (Going to mount 'em on Kelly Take-Offs to bring 'em up by the brake levers)
841 Medium Cage Derailluer
130mm Stem
9 Speed Cassette (using 8 of 9 cogs and 8 speed spacers to build 8 speed cassette)

Still need:

875 Mountain Front Derailleur
or 870 Triple Front Derailleur
if I have to I'll try the 860/862 Front Derailleur with my triple crank
Mavic SSC Levers
Mavic 27.2 350mm seatpost
Mavic 46cm bars
36h Mavic Cassette Hub (126mm or 130mm)
Mavic 8-speed chain (did they even make this?)
Mavic Chainrings (probably 130BCD)

I haven't decided on a crankset yet. To my knowledge the only options for cranks over 180mm are the Surly Mr. Whirly at 185mm, the TA Carmina at 185mm, and the Zinn cranks. I don't want to give Zinn the kind of money he's asking without knowing exactly what length to get, and that's a tough question to answer having never ridden anything but clown cranks. You can't exactly swap a 210mm crankset with someone who has a 205mm one very easily...I'd love to be able to use a Mavic starfish crank, though. As far as I'm aware Mavic cranks were only 170, 172.5, and 175, right?

Anybody who has access to Mavic components please get in touch with me.

Oh...Wow, really?

I never got my hopes up that they came in 180mm. I've never seen a set that came in 180mm yet. Then again, I've seen like four sets.

I'll keep my eyes out for one. Do you HAVE to use the Mavic bottom bracket with the Mavic crankset? I'm a bit skittish about converting my bottom bracket threads to only work with a Mavic bottom bracket. Doesn't it strip all the threading out or something?

Mtnbke":1j41fqqf said:
Do you HAVE to use the Mavic bottom bracket with the Mavic crankset? I'm a bit skittish about converting my bottom bracket threads to only work with a Mavic bottom bracket. Doesn't it strip all the threading out or something?

According to one source, "These cranks will work with any 2 degree, tapered spindle, bottom bracket."

http://www.bikepro.com/products/cranks/mavic.shtml

My experience with Mavic cranks supports this.

Back