what is it with bl**dy Kona's ??

Ransetsu

Retro Guru
there's a wealth of steel gorgeousness out there people ! hand built by good men who love mountainbiking ..... people who gave the sport to the world ...... men and woman who cared about their products ....... but still people on this site have a fixation on a mass produced Taiwanese product ......why ???? Kona is the Toyota of the bike world ! Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh perhaps you should include a section in the forum for sad Kona freaks ?

ohh, a bit of anger for a monday!
the people of the forum decided (in their infinite wisdom) that Konas are officially cool :D :

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4665

the fact that they're made in taiwan shouldn't matter, as so many bikes are - I'd say the toyota of the bike world is a trek, nowt wrong with them but not that inspiring (or as cool as spesh in my eyes)

however i drive a toyota and ride a kona so could be biased....

Damn right it will turn nasty... <rolls sleeves up>

its would be a boring world if we all wanted the same stuff - just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't right....

I love my wee Kona (and cheers very much for the rather nasty remarks in my readers bikes thread about it), I need it to be a half decent, lightweight but still retro steed that I can chuck about and get dirty without worrying about it - and it does it perfectly...

Quit it with the bike snobbery, please.... :p

not a kona lover myself , but wont put them down ;)

anyway i like marin , not everyone`s taste

The ride great, they're affordable, a lot of people rode them BITD and so they have a lot of appeal. An explosif is (one of) the iconic 90's MTB's.

Kona are okay by me.

Orange are not as well designed and also Taiwan built but they are perceived as cooler as they have not suffered from such over exposure.

Kona are not the Toyota of the bike world. Kona are more like the BMW of the bike world, just because every thrusting T**t of a rep drives a 318i (debadged) does not make the M3CSL any less awesome a car, though it does knock it's desireability.

Oh! Trek are the GM of the bike world, check out the portfolio of manufacturers they both respectivly own ;)

Ransetsu":1ualvthk said:
there's a wealth of steel gorgeousness out there people ! hand built by good men who love mountainbiking ..... people who gave the sport to the world ...... men and woman who cared about their products ....... but still people on this site have a fixation on a mass produced Taiwanese product ......why ???? Kona is the Toyota of the bike world ! Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh perhaps you should include a section in the forum for sad Kona freaks ?

Just to play devil's advocate here (and I don't have any axe to grind either way), you could say Fat Chance although a smallish hand built outfit have a much greater exposure here than may be merited? It goes both ways!!

Back