popularity contest. name the frames you deem "special&q

Definately personal

I sometime don't get the love on here for certain brands just because they are rare as the bikes are often (IMO) quite fugly!

For me old school Ti bikes do excite me....almost timeless

purplewicked":1mds51ky said:
i rode a gt karakoram and a khs. BUt if i am going out of my way and build a vintage bike now i am sure NOT going to build a karakoram.

:oops: oh dear, I have both :LOL: the karakoram was bought as a winter bike though but have rather enjoyed the way it rides. Have to admit it isn't 'special' but it has got me interested in getting a psyclone one day.

my special list at the moment would be

psyclone
any ritchey
an original breezer
yeti ultimate
EWR(edit to include)

also have just bought a purple wicked so this may redress the balance a bit. AFWIW I really like the KHS :D

Re: popularity contest. name the frames you deem "speci

purplewicked":5te2hcl4 said:
i openned this page regularly for a couple days and i notice there is basically interest for:
Kona
Orange
Gt
Klein
Merlin

How on earth did you miss the massive interest in Pace and hand-built stuff by the likes of Roberts,Yates and co...?

kaiser":2zwm8lus said:
purplewicked":2zwm8lus said:
i rode a gt karakoram and a khs. BUt if i am going out of my way and build a vintage bike now i am sure NOT going to build a karakoram.

:oops: oh dear, I have both :LOL: the karakoram was bought as a winter bike though but have rather enjoyed the way it rides. Have to admit it isn't 'special' but it has got me interested in getting a psyclone one day.

my special list at the moment would be

psyclone
any ritchey
an original breezer
yeti ultimate
EWR(edit to include)

also have just bought a purple wicked so this may redress the balance a bit. AFWIW I really like the KHS :D

MTBs are terrain specific. get something that shines on your trails.
my karakoram weighed more than 30lbs!

Re: popularity contest. name the frames you deem "speci

gradeAfailure":87wy5e59 said:
purplewicked":87wy5e59 said:
i don't get the passion for taiwanese, mass production for chainstore bikes.
And? Why should it matter to you what someone else likes?

The bike is just the tool, it's the rides that matter..

i like reading praise for what i admire. don't you?

BoyBurning":19nzutua said:
pete_mcc":19nzutua said:
I mean when you fantasize about your ideal woman you pick a supermodel or an a sexy actress, you don't choose an ex-girlfriend, do you?

You've obviously been having the wrong ex-girlfriends Pete...

;)

Hell yeah and that's why they are ex's! Actually thinking about it there is some similarities between ex's and retro bikes: I'd love an occasional ride on both just for old times sake but it would never be as good as I remember it, especially when compared to the newer models and the maintenance costs would be huge! :D

Interesting discussion. For something to be special, IMO, there needs to be a story I can relate too. It is not about it beng exotic or expensive or even good. For instance, some people might see my '94 Explosif as special (real steel, ribbed tubes blah), but for me it is just a bike that I am attached to through owning it a long time and I like it cause we have done a lot together - it is not special to me. I used to think that I could not get rid of it, but now I happily would if I did not need it for commuting.

Special for me is the memory of a shiny alu Ozone E-stay frame hanging up in a shop in Manchester for £squillions and always wanting it. I tried to ignite that fire by buying a Funk E-stay (which some people think are special), but it did nothing for me and I got rid. Now, having my own Ozone is special to me - the brand does not mean much to many on here (another reason to like it!), but that is ok.

Back