Dura Ace 7700 Chainset

i-am-iron-man

Senior Retro Guru
Here we go again...

I was elated when I bought this 200-mile old chainset. I am well fussy about the condition of my stuff and I've been building a fancy road bike with a full 7700 gruppo. It boasts 175mm cranks and sports 53 and 39 tooth chainrings. Shimano's prettiest chainset before they went for the outboard BB cups and made their running gear look all Buck Rodgers.

d20e_1.jpg
c73c_1.jpg
b9b5_1.jpg

Imagine my dismay when I discovered what happens when you buy the wrong length cranks! 175mm is not the right length for me, at all. How does 2.5mm make so much difference? I'm having to sell these and go on the hunt for another immaculate set.

* I am selling the chainset only - not the bottom bracket
* In the pictures the cranks are 200 miles old; they are now 300 miles old. I haven't scuffed them and they still look the same.
* £50 posted and they're yours.
* Posted price is for UK Retrobikers...overseas Retrobikers PM me and we can talk.

Those are octalink, not squah Taypah, are they not........... :(

Bugger.........I'd have taken them as well as a couple of yer fingers if ye wernae fast enough!
I'm kind of low level lookin' out for a square taper 175mm to swap my Ultergra chainset.

Lysander":16d65ig5 said:
Those are octalink, not squah Taypah, are they not........... :(

Bugger.........I'd have taken them as well as a couple of yer fingers if ye wernae fast enough!
I'm kind of low level lookin' out for a square taper 175mm to swap my Ultergra chainset.

Octalink!
Octalink BB's are very cheap on the 'Bay though, especially Ultegra ones. Much stiffer than square taper too.

Theres a new trendy single speed shop near rough trade just off brick lane in London that has a set of these very cranks in, with a single ring, all buffed up to a very shiny finish and an asking price of £310!!!!
That said I doubt they will sell em for that much.

JeRkY":38otlytc said:
Theres a new trendy single speed shop near rough trade just off brick lane in London that has a set of these very cranks in, with a single ring, all buffed up to a very shiny finish and an asking price of £310!!!!
That said I doubt they will sell em for that much.

Tell me about it!!!
I've been trying to buy a similar set in 172.5mm and have, so far, been horrified. At the price I've just sold these for you'd get a scuffed up set with un-Shimano chainrings.
...now sold BTW.

I'm pretty sure the ones in 14 (The bike shop near rough trade) are the track versions, not the road ones. But they sell anything shiny and track in that place for way too much.

Got a triple one of these, upgraded from Tiagra very recently. They're awesome. So light and smooth. Can higly recommend. I paid a little more fo my triple as well.

Back