Spring 2007 RetroBike meet - Sat 24th March North Downs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock n roll.. Cannot wait for the full report..

I'm guessing it's gunna be a bit on the chilly side of things right? So a short sleeve cycling top isn't going to be enough is it..? :roll:

Mud! I miss mud!! :LOL:

I for one can't wait for this event - am going to need to finish my Proflex though or my ride ain't gonna be retro! :oops:

Report from yesterday ..

The Participants – Me, Chris and Matt..

The Meeting Point – Westcott, Surrey (just west of Dorking)

The Ride – The plan was to use the map we bought at the bike shop and follow a 15 mile loop around the North Downs.. However, it soon became clear that we couldn’t even find the start of this loop so we shouted at 3 random blokes to ask where they were heading, turned out to be the route we wanted so we tagged along with them..

The Conditions – Well, there was serious rain in the south of England towards to end of last week and it showed, some bits were very claggy and a couple of the ascents were made very tricky indeed. BUT, there was plenty of good stuff too, some excellent descents and plenty of good singletrack mixed amongst the hard climbs and technical drops..The abundance of tracks in the area mean that there’s something for everyone, the latter part of the ride was down meandering bridleways which was quite nice and tranquil, very different to the earlier rock and root extravaganza.

The March Meet – We seem to have a good route mapped out and it should be a great day as it’s an excellent spot. Hopefully the weather will not deteriorate anymore so hopefully will be less muddy !!

Car Parking – This is the only negative with the location… We are still trying to find a decent public car park nearby but so far nothing is showing up as a good solution being that there will be over 20 of us. Therefore we currently think our best bet could be to park at Waitrose in Dorking and ride the couple of miles on road to the start of the trails, it’s not far… This will be confirmed nearer the time.

I will post some pics once my internet stops playing silly buggers at home..

Cheers
Hilts

PS – good idea about the pics, suggest we start a thread that people can post their mug shots in..

I should be there (no B&B as don't live too far away), on my 93 Cindercone if i actually get it finished! I do have a 94 (bright orange :shock: ) kona lycra kit, but i don't think I'll be wearing that...

depending on babysitting my lady maybe there on her 97 Rocky Mountain (also requiring me to finish that, as she's on the kona at the mo., it won't be a retro build more of what i've got lying around spare - pics of the painting are my gallery :D )

it was very muddy as Hilts said .

we ended having to shorten the route as we had no brake pads left . :LOL:

where are the pics then james!! :D

the ride on the road isnt too bad... and a slight downward bias on the way home... :)

If it is like sunday , we ll need a shower too .

I think Hilts will confirm later but he found a place to park a bit closer .

Your tyres are safe, we have a car park much closer to the venue which we should all fit in and will mean virtually no time on the road..

Matt,
Having issues with my internet at home so will bring pics to work tomorrow and get them on the site somehow..

Will also post all the details about where to meet and when plus a brief idea of an itinerary for the big day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back