Equipe RMO, circa 1990 TdF

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was thinking the other day about how nice a fully Mavic equipped bike would be. Always fancied making a Tour De France replica, but it would have to be out of the mainstream (i.e.TeamZ, Motorola etc. maybe something like Once or Ariostia).

The RMO team ran full Mavic componentry circa 1990 1991.

The bikes even use Mavic seat posts.

I am pretty sure that the stem and bars are 3ttt.

Rims are for tubs and will be SsC, maybe GP40's?

The sticking point is the frame. The bikes say Liberia on them. Not a make I am familiar with. Is it another sponsor or the frame builder. If frame builder; Who are they and were they generally avalible like Merckx or Vitus frames were. If not then who made RMO's frames?

As you can imagine this will be a slow build (if I decide to do it). Also the bike will be used sparingly (being white and 17 years old among other things). Are tubs reliable for occasional use or should I succumb to wire on's. Also who still makes wire on 700c tyres with an amber wall, used to always use Michelin Hi Lites but can't find 'em now. Hate black walls.

Help / advice sought! :D

Got the same problem with my D'accordi.. cant find period correct rubber for it. I found that Continental Super Sports in amber sidewalls (700x20) looked perfect but my bike store only had one...not a pair :cry:

So.. back to the search for old-skool rubber.

Yes a TdF replica would be cool and I love the Mavic big spider Chainset that was seen on bikes including Lemonds TT bike that he used to thrash Fignon.

Sounds like a nice project Stick Legs. Any good pics of the bikes. Remember the RMO team in the early 90s in the TdF, especially Charly Mottet

image52.jpg

Anyhow for a bit of shameless self promotion heres a link to my merckx.
Running a fairly complete Mavic gruppo, the only deviations being brakes (gone for deltas because they look so choice), shifters (campy ergos) and seatpost. Even got the skin wall veloflex clinchers you mention which look spot on.
As for clincher vs tubs. If you've any plans to use it I'd go with clinchers. Pretty sure tubs age also....

My next door neighbour in france has a RMO bike . He bought it from the team at the end of the season . He used to know one of the staff .
On one occasion when the TDF stopped in my town , with a mountain finish , the team bus stopped on their forecourt ( they run a petrol station ) , and we got to watch the stage in the bus and meet the riders after the stage .

John, Your Merckx is gorgeous and is on my list of bikes I'd love to own.
Please don't take my desire for a rarer frame as a criticism!

The veloflexes are a must, and I think that clinchers are the common sense idea. Maybe use Open 4 CD's with the stickers removed.

Shifters should be easy too as I am a confirmed down tube boy, so positive!

Chris2lou, could you get some close pic's of you neighbours bike if you can! Would really help ;)

Will keep all posted with progress.

Back