Fausto Coppi's Bike

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Just found this link an another forum, interesting feature on a very classic and historic bike. What I find very interesting is that Bianchi have built the frame with the old 'toothed' type rear dropouts for the original Campag 'Paris-Roubaix' style rod operated gear but have actually fitted what looks like an original version of the 'Gran Sport'.

http://rouleur.cc/recent-features/238-coppibike

I've never heard of this publication, anyone else know about it?

The publication is a certain cycle clothing marketing company's advertising/PR disguised as a magazine/website. I won't mention the company's name because they've hijacked genuine cycling history to promote themselves, they try to associate themselves with past cycling heroes and imagery when they have nothing to do with it. They are merely a marketing company started a few years ago by, IIRC, a couple of advertising executives. They've used all the textbooks tricks of marketing and branding to create a luxury/premium brand out of literally thin air.

What's wrong with the photos? All the colours are washed out, perhaps it's done to create a "vintage" look.

Some observations:

Mudguards eyes front and rear.

Tied and soldered spokes.

5 speed freewheel.

Bolt and washer in left side rear dropout, perhaps as adjuster?

"Integrated" headset.

fiks":3rbwvwca said:
The publication is a certain cycle clothing marketing company's advertising/PR disguised as a magazine/website. I won't mention the company's name because they've hijacked genuine cycling history to promote themselves, they try to associate themselves with past cycling heroes and imagery when they have nothing to do with it. They are merely a marketing company started a few years ago by, IIRC, a couple of advertising executives. They've used all the textbooks tricks of marketing and branding to create a luxury/premium brand out of literally thin air.

What's wrong with the photos? All the colours are washed out, perhaps it's done to create a "vintage" look.

I wonder who that could be.............................?

fiks":36l82mo0 said:
Some observations:

Mudguards eyes front and rear.

Tied and soldered spokes.

5 speed freewheel.

Bolt and washer in left side rear dropout, perhaps as adjuster?

"Integrated" headset.

Mudguards eyes front and rear - probably all you could get in those days. It used to rain a lot before global warming.

Tied and soldered spokes - only the best for our Fausto!

5 speed freewheel - now that is something I'd not thought of. When did 5 speed appear, I was thinking it would only have been 4 at most.

Bolt and washer in left side rear dropout, perhaps as adjuster? - Probably used as a wheel stop for quick wheel changes like the thin screws that Campag later put in their dropouts.

"Integrated" headset. - nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is new!

Just found out from here -

http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

that the rear gear is a 'Gran Sport Extra' with the extension on the cage.

Also noticed that there are 2 independent gear levers for front and rear, possibly the 'double lever' arrangement hadn't been introduced then.

Back