1938 Fleet (Schwinn) C-model Klunker Project

I was at the BikeRadar live event yesterday at Donington and saw this and thought of you guys. Sorry for the crappy picture (may be a better one to come from my mate's camera). It was beautiful.

spa0612.jpg

J_Westy":n43htqr0 said:
But the BB doesn't fit at all.
Dr. S, what did you use?

For now I'm thinking:

TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit - $22
opc-adaptor-truvativ.jpg

IRD 68 x 103 mm Bottom Bracket BB102 - $30:
bb102.jpg

I used the same convertor (DMR branded) and a Royce Ti BB (because I had one kicking about)

Si

I am trying to save for a family car at the moment, but you and Si are tempting me so much to get my finger out on the old klunks.

orange71":5fkj5qh3 said:
I'd love to build up a Klunker - but just wouldn't know where to start.

P.S. For grins, here's my coffee shop klunker to hold me over until I get the Fleet done.

It's a 1959 or 1960 Rollfast Space Racer (free after selling the rack, chainguard and fenders on craigslist)

VP Pedals, Kalloy handlebar, and Uni Beam seat post from ebay.

Old Ritchey Logic saddle from the basement

Panaracer 1.9 Duster tires from Michigan Mountain Bike Association classifieds.

klunker-1.jpg

J_Westy":1r1z6opj said:
Next plans

- Fit the BB, fork and truss rods to make sure everything fits

Fitted up the truss rods tonight... a little bending and grinding and they appear like they'll work with the post war fork.

There's a good chrome plating place on the west side of Michigan that I can stop by in a few weeks to get a quote. http://www.proctorsmetalfinishing.com/

P1100069.jpg
P1100068.jpg

I couldn't resist a set of TA cranks. They are contemporary (newer) and 170mm.

My latest thought is to put a 36T ring on these with retro stickers on the crank arms and make a Michigan style, single-speed klunker -- 36/18. No Mt. Tam's in Michigan for downhilling! :LOL:

TA1.jpg
TA2.jpg

TA3.jpg

J_Westy":3daiqe57 said:
J_Westy":3daiqe57 said:
Next plans

For now I'm thinking:

TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit - $22

opc-adaptor-truvativ.jpg

IRD 68 x 103 mm Bottom Bracket BB102 - $30:

bb102.jpg

The TruVativ converter doesn't work out of the box. The land that fits inside the shell is longer than the counter-bore inside the shell. Will have to have a friend mill them down to just under 1/2" thick.

I also don't know what I was thinking on a 103 mm spindle. I must have measured wrong :oops: I have a 115 handy that looks close. Once I get the converter sorted out, I may be able to go to a 113.... More to follow.

I also just ordered the 36T TA chainring

TA_Pro5Vis_aussen_36_RoBa.jpg

Looking good dude. Any thoughts on a finishing date?

Headbadge arrived for mine today- finally finished at long last.

Si

Dr S":2nq9vezw said:
Looking good dude. Any thoughts on a finishing date?

I'm mostly time limited with kid activities.

I'm realistically targeting next spring by the time I get to paint it over winter

First up is a C'dale MC400 that I'm rebuilding with my 7-year old daughter now that she's done with school. Going to clean her up with a few retro parts.

DSC_9817.jpg

Back