What frame/part/mtb item do you want most in '06?

TBG/Kona frame or bike from around 1990.

Bontrager OR frame to SS.

Brodie forks.

And if dreaming is allowed... frame and truss-fork made by Jeff Jones.

Sorry, didn`t realize i wasn`t logged-in.

TBG/Kona frame or bike from around 1990.

Bontrager OR frame to SS.

Brodie forks.

And if dreaming is allowed... frame and truss-fork made by Jeff Jones. Check out Aquaholics thread over at www.mtbr.com on the 29"-board.

I'm hoping for a Robin Mather frame (if it all works out!) - not that I've thought about it much at all, oh no, but maybe done a bit like this (off the top of my head, obviously)...

• *brazed frame with no lugs (not even at top-tube / seat-tube / seat-stay junction)
    *singlespeed with dropouts that have metal (as in not painted - stainless steel?) faces where the hub (a Full Monty!) bolts on
    *26" wheels and clearance for tires up to 2.5" wide (80mm total clearance?)
    *classic "old school" mtb shape
    • ~NOT suspension corrected
      ~thin tubes
      ~top tube parallel to ground
      ~nicely curved tapered unicrown (?) front fork (again with not painted dropout?)
      ~kinda long (tall?) head-tube (but not too long!)
      ~equal (tightish) clearance for front wheel from down-tube and rear wheel from seat-tube (shortish chain-stays)
      ~the same clearance on front wheel to sides of forks and on rear wheel between both chain-stays and seat-stays
      ~built for canti brakes only - rear hanger brazed to frame, front hanger brazed to stem?
    *maybe reinforcing ring on seat-tube? (like soulcraft)
    *maybe reinforcing rings on head-tube? (maybe like old mountain-goats?)
    *round bottle mount reinforcement brazeons (not diamond shaped)
    *braze-ons for front and rear fenders and rear rack? (round and brazed to frame, not into frame)
    *cable routing using Surly style zip tie braze-ons to allow full cable outer
    *camouflage paint like Ritchey Commandos had! (I figure this may cost a bit!)
    *custom or Salsa steel stems painted to match bike (two stems, for different handlebar styles); with canti hangers brazed on as mentioned above
    *brazed on seat binder that takes M6 bolts (maybe!)

I figure I'd like the bike to have a two-speed freewheel and two front chainrings - meaning I can get two gears with the same length chain. I think I'd go for 38 / 41 up front and the ENO 19 / 16 freewheel behind. 2:1 offroad and 41:16 on! I'd maybe like a Chris King steelset headset, but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, it's nice to dream (and to make cost / weight / value per km spreadsheets, apparently)!

Cheers all!

The only comment I'd make is whilst Robin will build you virtually anything you can imagine, that frame sounds more like the Solitude house style than that of RM.

Back