best road pedal?

tozi321

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking to upgrade from spd to a proper road pedal-any thoughts please-won't be used for serious racing,plus do any style of pedal "suit" the pre-clipless bike-i have mostly modern kit on a '60's frame

I love SPD SLs but friends use Speedplays and Times and all like what they have.Times seem quite fragile though.

I've tried absolutely everything going.

Speedplay. Need to go for top 2 models for the best bearings, but they really are awesome. It's a question of taste which type float you want. My knees prefer the free float X-series (X2) but they take some getting used to. Zero's are more popular for some reason.

Old-syle Time's are amazing too - but heavy. Don't care for the last 2 types.

I agree. I went with 747's on my road bike as I wnat to keep shoes interchangeable - I ride with MTB ones in winter, lighter road ones in summer.

I use old 525s on all my bikes, road and MTB, except for my Lo-Pro TT bike which has single side Welgo's. A lot easier to get into than LOOK, especially when trying to get away fast from traffic lights etc. In summer I use road shoes and in winter MTB shoes.

525's = bullet proof!

tozi321":2t77mofm said:
I'm looking to upgrade from spd to a proper road pedal-any thoughts please-won't be used for serious racing,plus

why? is there any efficiency gain? i ask cos Ive just gone from road pedals to SPDs as they use shoes I can walk round in. I use shimano cheapies - double sided, less than £20 with cleats and lightweight. I'm happy with the walking around aspect, but not sure if theres a performance loss on the local chaingang / TT's.

Ive suffered none of the numb foot syndrome that is often cited with spds only having a small load platform, but the shoes arent as curved as my road ones and I guess the curve must be there for good reason. Anyone know?

tozi321":25qnrg2x said:
I'm looking to upgrade from spd to a proper road pedal-any thoughts please-won't be used for serious racing,plus do any style of pedal "suit" the pre-clipless bike-i have mostly modern kit on a '60's frame

I think Bebops are the best road pedal ever made. They are the best mountain bike pedal too. Did I mention they they are a great Cross pedal?

Essentially a better, stronger, smarter version of the Speedplay X or Lightaction.

There was some bad blood between Speedplay and Bebop (which was invented first) and Speedplay did some creepy illegal things to get Bebops pulled from the major US distributors and mail order houses. The legal stuff is over, and Bebops are being sold again (they won the case, but didn't get the financial damages they should have from Speedplay), die hard Bebop fans had been hoarding sets, and selling them on eBay for a pretty penny. Incredibly stiff pedal and rebuildable.

Once you use Bebops you'll never go back to anything else. The float is so much more natural and the knee injuries of SPDs or Look style pedals don't happen with Bebops.

I use them on my road bike, road tandem, and mountain bike. I use a Sidi mountian bike shoe for everything. I like the way the cleat fits in the Sidi recess.

pigman":1n5fpcow said:
tozi321":1n5fpcow said:
I'm looking to upgrade from spd to a proper road pedal-any thoughts please-won't be used for serious racing,plus

why? is there any efficiency gain? i ask cos Ive just gone from road pedals to SPDs as they use shoes I can walk round in. I use shimano cheapies - double sided, less than £20 with cleats and lightweight. I'm happy with the walking around aspect, but not sure if theres a performance loss on the local chaingang / TT's.

Ive suffered none of the numb foot syndrome that is often cited with spds only having a small load platform, but the shoes arent as curved as my road ones and I guess the curve must be there for good reason. Anyone know?

Generally the shoes should be stiffer also theres probably about 200g of weight saving with a proper road set up.(looking at spesh comp shoes=100g and similarly priced time pedals just over 100g).

SPD SL's for me too because there cheap and do the job very well. :)

Back