1938 Fleet (Schwinn) C-model Klunker Project

J_Westy

Old School Hero
Hi Klunker fans

I picked this up off of craigslist. It's (I think) a 1938 Fleet (Schwinn) C Model based off the serial number even though the crank date stamp is 36. As many know, old Schwinns can't be dated definativly because the records were lost.

fleetb.jpg

Fleet_SerialNumber.jpg

Here are the parts I've accumulated so far:

6061 Answer Alumilite BMX Handlebars: A little shop wear but not bad. Around a 3-3/4" rise and 28" wide.

AnswerBars.jpg

Headbadge:
Nice patina. The guy had a NOS one too, but wanted $100! I like this one better anyway.

HeadBadge.jpg

Axle Adjusting Screws

adjusting_screws.jpg

Campy Seat Post Binder

campy_binder.jpg

NOS Tioga BMX bottom bracket

TiogaBottomBracket.jpg

NOS Shimano BMX Front Hub

NOS_ShimanoHub.jpg

SR/Sakae Apex Cranks. ca 1980, but they're an SR knock off of the Stronglight 99 that came out earlier in the '70's... 170mm x 48T, 86 BCD. I have a prosthetic right leg (below knee) and probably can't spin a big 180mm T.A. anyway, plus the price was right on this SR.

SR_ApexCranks.jpg

VP Bat Wingz Pedals: old stuff from the basement

VP_Pedals.jpg

Ashtabula Motomag stem
for cheap. A little Eastwood Zinc Phosphate spray paint, and it will be stylin'. The $50-$80 for a decent one on the bay is out of hand.

AshtabulaStem.jpg
Eastwood.jpg

NOS Schwinn ballooner fork

NOS_SchwinnBalloonFork.jpg
[/QUOTE]

NOS Ukai wheel set. The front was built with the hub above and the rear was already laced back in the 80's with a Suntour coaster hub.

BuiltWheels.jpg
P1100051.jpg

P1100044.jpg

1983 Brooks B72. I really wanted the chrome instead of the newer black style.

B72_2.jpg
B72_1.jpg

Next plans

- Fit the BB, fork and truss rods to make sure everything fits

- Have my buddy machine up a long 6061 billet seat post and have it clear anodized

- Get my truss rods chromed to look like these:

prewar_truss.jpg

- Prep for a paint job like this but with blue pin stripes to coordinate with the Ukais

spears.jpg
[/b]

Thats going to be sweet! Frame looks same as mine it with the taller seat tube, mine could have broken off and been cut down like the 33-34 models with the QR through the seat stays?? Even the guys on the Schwinn forums were flumoxed by it. Yours looks to be in great shape- do you not fancy a patina build?
just a few thoughts... Have you checked out the BB axle width yet? Can be a problem as the BMX kit you have tend to be the unpopular left overs that are two wide- this I found the hard way. You need something around 118mm if I remember rightly (will check)

What are your plans for the front brakes? Schwinn did an accessory bolt on canti mount kit, but getting them can be tricky. Dia Compe seem to work better than Mafac if you take this route.

This going to be one cool build and if there was any justice we would be seeing more Klunker builds over here on RetroBike. I'm having a wail of a time riding mine everywhere from the Coffee shop to the trail centres, you'll be suprised how well they ride!

Let the revolution begin.

Si

Looks great already and i'm sure it'll be even better when finished.just a quick question, are the truss bars on the forks structural or decorative?

WOW!! Thats looking sweet.

I do need to get my ass into gear and start a classic cruiser build this year.
Although i've been saying that for a few years now. :roll:

Al. :D

The best place to start would be to ask for guidance from Dr S and J_westy.

Them guys got da eye!! Then if you ask all the tough questions, i can eves drop so i don't look like a plonker!!

Al, Thinkin' is what other people do best!! :roll:

orange71":32iyaopt said:
I'd love to build up a Klunker - but just wouldn't know where to start.

eBay will provide!

First port of call needs to be Alan Bond's excellent site- have a look at his builds and decide on a spec and get hunting!

I'm no expert but if I can help just ask. Start by getting a frame and work from there. The early style Bomber is probably the easiest to build up as they used lots of stock Schwinn parts like the forks,cranks,bars etc. Thereis much more work building a hybrid like mine as you have to add canti mounts and the only stock Schwinn item is the frame (which needs mods)

My next build will be the simpler Bomber style with original paint and plenty of rust!

Dr S":172e92on said:
Thats going to be sweet! Frame looks same as mine it with the taller seat tube, mine could have broken off and been cut down like the 33-34 models with the QR through the seat stays?? Even the guys on the Schwinn forums were flumoxed by it. Yours looks to be in great shape- do you not fancy a patina build?
just a few thoughts... Have you checked out the BB axle width yet? Can be a problem as the BMX kit you have tend to be the unpopular left overs that are two wide- this I found the hard way. You need something around 118mm if I remember rightly (will check)

What are your plans for the front brakes? Schwinn did an accessory bolt on canti mount kit, but getting them can be tricky. Dia Compe seem to work better than Mafac if you take this route.

This going to be one cool build and if there was any justice we would be seeing more Klunker builds over here on RetroBike. I'm having a wail of a time riding mine everywhere from the Coffee shop to the trail centres, you'll be suprised how well they ride!

Let the revolution begin.

Si

I like the idea of a patina build, but the red frame and blue wheels would hurt my eyes.

No -- haven't fitted the BB yet -- don't have the frame at the moment because a buddy is fixing one of the fender holes that was torn open a bit. Thanks for checking on yours. I'm also hoping my cranks with the Japanese taper will go on a bit further than your French taper.

No front brakes for now. I'm going single-speed coaster brake. Michigan hills are short and it will serve mostly town duty anyway.

I had thought you did the seat tube work yourself! Makes your frame all the more interesting.

lewis1641":172e92on said:
Looks great already and i'm sure it'll be even better when finished.just a quick question, are the truss bars on the forks structural or decorative?

I understand they are largely decorative, but every bit probably counts on these old forks. I just like the look. Although the tubular BMX style like Dr. S is equally cool in my opinion.

I chose a postwar forged fork for more strength and haven't decided if I'm going to add a locating bracket for the truss rods at the bottom of the steerer tube or not... right now, thinking not.

kaiser":172e92on said:
Those UKAI's look awesome.

Thanks! Definitely not going let rim brakes anywhere near these!

orange71":172e92on said:
I'd love to build up a Klunker - but just wouldn't know where to start.

Check out:

http://clunkers.net/

http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Then begin your quest for parts!

J_Westy":20xkgevh said:
Next plans

- Fit the BB, fork and truss rods to make sure everything fits

Fork and truss rods fit ok. Just need to cut down the steerer tube 1/4"

But the BB doesn't fit at all.

Dr. S, what did you use?

For now I'm thinking:

TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit - $22