Let's see those retro road bikes

Help please

Im trying to find a retro 80's style bike for my fiancee for his birthday. I really need some advice and thought this would be a better place than any to find it.
My father had a drop handle 10 speed raleigh road racer?? Excuse me if that was seriously wrong but i really need some help and would be so pleased if someone could give me a direction to go in. I only have 2 months!
Rachel

Re: Help please

Rachy":3w20fo02 said:
Im trying to find a retro 80's style bike for my fiancee for his birthday. I really need some advice and thought this would be a better place than any to find it.
My father had a drop handle 10 speed raleigh road racer?? Excuse me if that was seriously wrong but i really need some help and would be so pleased if someone could give me a direction to go in. I only have 2 months!
Rachel

well, you've found the right place, just check through the old roadie threads and then hit ebay for something that tickles your fancey:

http://sports.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Bik ... ec0Q2em282

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Gone but not forgotten

Peugeot PX10 - my first proper roadie resto:

Attachments

• peugeot PX10 531.jpg
    peugeot PX10 531.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 2,577
Re: Help please

Rachy":2t9o0jfd said:
Im trying to find a retro 80's style bike for my fiancee for his birthday.

Wow.... It's a big can of worms you opened for yourself - but if you pull this off, you'll have him on a leash for life.

Most important is getting the right size as the frame is the one thing you can't swap out.

Also if you are thinking "style" rather than the real thing, there are umpteen ways you could go.

My Carlton Super Python (or so i was told) with wrapover seat stays frame no. E6007 (Either 1958 from info given by Carlton expert or 1970 as i originally thought) Given the date code of the Williams chainset that was fitted I think it's a later model but I just love riding/looking at it. Zeus dropouts too.

D/Ace 8 Sti's on ITM Super Europa bars
RED S cranks with stronglight 48/36 rings & Nervar titanium BB. (Originally a huge Williams Cranset/BB)
Olympic XXI pedals with white leather straps.
Open 4 & SUP CD rims with D/Ace 8 hubs, Schwalbe Blizzard Speciale 700x22 tan wall tyres.
12-26 D/Ace HG cassette, 7410 front d, seatpost & stem(All NOS) Golden Arrow long cage in picture but soon to be replaced with D/Ace 8.

Main problem was the rear brake bridge is too high to take 700C wheels and use a normal drop modern brake caliper. Since this picture i've acquired an Alongha extra long drop plus some D/ace calipers.
3387515794_5a529d6570_b.jpg

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 2,544
  • Carlton badge.jpg
    Carlton badge.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,543
Interesting mix of old and new(ish) on your Carlton. I like the white saddle bag, it looks like the one I had on my Triumph Palm Beach in around 1958 but that was tan colour. Also an interesting mix of technology with the clamp-on gear bosses and the STI stops. How does the old style 600 mech work with the STI's? Does it index OK?

Picked up the bag for a fiver off ebay, I was the only bidder :). I replaced the plastic straps with some black leather ones I have as it was my first try out of a saddle bag. Not sure th D/ace seatpost liked it much nor my behind, my missus reckoned it was funny as anything seeing it swinging hither & thither with every stroke till I managed to get it about right.
The rear D took some tuning I admit but only misses one cog up or down on occasion which considering the type of use it gets isn't an issue. Once I swap it for the 8 speed DA it will be perfect though i am considering putting bar ends on as I've accquired some new white Aero levers :)
The main problem was the band on cable guide at the bottom of the seat tube which i really had to clamp down tight.
The frame i bought as a whole bike, I'm certain it's been repsrayed & re-enammelled.
I've been very lucky, i sold off the bits from the bike i did't want so it's cost me about £150 net to put it together

Here's my Gillott, bought for the missus but she decided she wanted a girly bike with shed loads of gears and shiny purple things on it :D
Has been powder coated(I think) in a lovely yellow, not up to speed on the differing types of spraying/coatings etc
Originally came with a nice set of 27" Mavics that I sold to make way for the new Rimtec 190's & Pelissier hubs. Mafac brake levers & calipers.
Also nice old brass plaqued Cinelli Milano stem. Stronglight 48/36. Previous owner nicked the saddle, seatpost, derailluers & levers so they are temporary fitments until I get round to finding something more appropriate. Nasty Shimano indexed levers which look awful will be replaced with Suntour power shifters.

Attachments

• Gillot 1.JPG
    Gillot 1.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 7,802
  • Cinelli stem plaque (2).jpg
    Cinelli stem plaque (2).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 7,803
Back