very weird FAT

I agree with Rody.

With VRC stuff, it seems the market is already there, so anytime a seller talks up an item or advertises it for something other than what it is, it bugs me. Personally, if this guy's only text in the ad said nothing other than "Wicked fat dressed up like a Yo," it would have been fine, and likely he'd get the same amount of money. But they're trying to attract the crowd who are out there looking for a regular old mountain bike, and dont know any better. He only disclosed its a wicked because he absolutely had to, and I bet he debated it thoroughly.

There's been more than one debate about this on the MTBR VRC forums. I think it all ties in, especially with the "blatant profiteering" discussed on this board.

Someone who just wants any old bike won't bid on this or if they do will drop out when it reaches the top of their budget (If anyone else bids on it!) I guess this wouldn't be a very high figure.

If you're looking for a FAT I'd have thought you might have a reasonable knowledge of what should be on that model and what period upgrades were around at the time. 20 minutes on google would help in this case or some questions on boards like this and FatCogs. Having said that, I do agree that the description is very flowery. Folk might think that they are getting something that they are not.

As Russel says there's a decent frame there and we know that the frames the thing, if it were me I would bid accordingly.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe misrepresentation. Don't take anything at face value, especially on ebay, do a little research first.

Fair points Amey and Rody, but I'm guessing that most people here would rather buy a Fat frame and spec it themselves than buy one fully kitted out in the first place. Most people here are into the building of their perfect bikes, not just the owning. That being the case, if I was interested, I'd bid on it and get the parts that I don't want straight back on e-bay to fund the re-build.

The seller might come across as a jerk, but its a great project that'll probably go cheap.

My point was I would never sell it like that. As a seller you have more hassle packing the complete bike and the junk tears the frame down imo. As a buyer you pay for the shipping of the junk and you have to bring it to the scrapheap.

I also have the idea the seller tried to remove or hide the STX labels. How pathetic.

I know there are people out there who are affected by passionate like us geeks, want one asap & not have a clue.

Russell":1jgy7s7y said:
Fair points Amey and Rody, but I'm guessing that most people here would rather buy a Fat frame and spec it themselves than buy one fully kitted out in the first place. Most people here are into the building of their perfect bikes, not just the owning. That being the case, if I was interested, I'd bid on it and get the parts that I don't want straight back on e-bay to fund the re-build.

The seller might come across as a jerk, but its a great project that'll probably go cheap.

Agreed.

I think Rody's just concerned with people being sucked in and paying over the odds.

I wasn't going to do this, but if you read the auction on the frame I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

The seller did a pretty good job describing this thing. This is one of the reason's I was interested. "BB resembles a box of rocks." Hilarious! Its the way auctions should be. Full disclosure.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ameybrook":3srt2n9m said:

The seller did a pretty good job describing this thing. This is one of the reason's I was interested. "BB resembles a box of rocks." Hilarious! Its the way auctions should be. Full disclosure.

Honest description and funny too! :D

Why can't they all be like that? Oh yeah... GREED.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
ameybrook":chbgnyxm said:

LOL yeah I read that. That is how you should do it but hey, different strokes and all that.

I actually feel sorry for this frame :LOL:

I sent the seller a question...depending on his response, I may have a go on it to give it a new chance at life.

I just feels right to bring it back to it's original glory.

cheers,

rody

Back