Nigel Dean 531 mtb - 1989?

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been fancying something lugged and a bit more late 80's in style and came across this fine specimen on gumtree for a few pounds. The pictures on the ad were awful but there just seemed to be something about it.. A quick bit of research has confirmed that it's a Nigel Dean of some description (at least by the headbadge). Full 531 AT tubing too by the looks of things so I'm pretty chuffed - even the bottom bracket shell is reynolds stamped...It's also got one of my fave groupsets from this era - suntour XCM - complete with those mavic style cranks :cool:

It's dirty but all works - I've just ridden 8 miles back from where I picked it up and nothing snapped or dropped off! My plan is to give it a sympathetic (i.e no money) resoration. This will be in the form of lots of greasing, t-cutting, replacement cables, some new tyres and in Derek and Clive fashion, a bit of brasso on those rims ;)

Current spec below:

Frame: Nigel Dean Reynolds 531 AT

Fork: 531 box crown jobbie

Headset: tange
Stem: unknown but looks nice, matches frame..mmm
Handlebar: ITM alloy
Grips: rock hard ones that bike magazine testers used to moan about bitd
Barends: Are you kidding?

Brakes: deore lx lo profile cantis (M560)
Brake Pads: shimano, worn
Brake Cables: clarks, do the job
Cantilever cable hangers: shimano
Brake Levers: diacompe XCM 4 (possibly more) finger

Shifters: suntour accushift top mount
Front Derailleur: suntour X-1
Rear Derailleur: suntour XCM
Derailleur Cables: see brake cables
Cassette: shimano freewheel
Chain: KMC
Cranks: suntour XCM
Crank Bolts: suntour
Chainrings: sakae 48-38-28
Chainring bolts: suntour
Bottom Bracket: unknown
Pedals: mks c-6000

Hub Skewers: none
Rims: mavic M6 oxygen rear, rigida AS32 front. Both 36 hole = bombproof.
Hubs: suntour AT rear, pelissier front
Nipples: small and pink...oh, on the bike you mean? Good question..
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke Lite rear, Dart front for now...
Tubes: Kenda presta valve jobbies

Saddle: sella italia anatomic
Seatpost: ITM forged alloy, hopefully not jammed, fingers crossed
Seatpost Binder: Odyssey svelte Ti (bling!)

Weight: 29.5 lbs (really!)

Attachments

• dean 001.jpg
    dean 001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,615
  • dean 002.jpg
    dean 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,611
  • dean 003.jpg
    dean 003.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,604
  • dean 004.jpg
    dean 004.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,614
That Sir is properly Lush! Relaxed angles/ high BB are really doing it for me right now! Full Suntour groupset too :cool: :cool:

CTK":ey7lnajx said:
That Sir is properly Lush! Relaxed angles/ high BB are really doing it for me right now! Full Suntour groupset too :cool: :cool:

Why thanks! It certainly is a different ride to what I'm used to, at first you feel quite upright because of the high bb...but once you're on the move it feels great, you can really cruise all day on it :D

I've just weighed it out of curiosity and amazingly it's sub 30 lbs :shock: I can only guess it's because of the light front end...

purplewicked":114x8im4 said:
mechagouki":114x8im4 said:
Is this the same Dean better known for beautiful mid 1990s titanium bikes?

No!!!

Well..ahem..it isn't. From my research Nigel Dean was a pro road racer who went on to build frames custom and for other brands in the 80's and through to the mid/late 90's when the company went bust. It looks like mtb's were not produced in huge numbers by the company (specialized in touring bikes) and 531 tubing was reserved for the higher end frames.

They're also less likely to crop up in Rio ;)

Quick update... finished all the servicing for the moment and after much grease (both elbow and otherwise) here she is for now. It now has matching tyres, cables have been replaced as planned and new chain and cassette fitted. All the other stuff was throughly cleaned up and came up pretty well, including those nasty plastic pedals..good for riding with sneakers though, they don't eat your soles! I'll keep it in it's shabby chic state as a summer ride then decide what to do with it...seriously thinking about a nice respray and drop bars now though, especially as it rides and handles like a road bike :)

Attachments

• dean 002.jpg
    dean 002.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,368
  • dean 004.jpg
    dean 004.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,368
  • dean 005.jpg
    dean 005.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,367
A really, really nice bike and sympathetically tidied up but you have to get rid of that naff Megarange cassette / freewheel :shock:

..unless you only ride it in a shell suit to the corner shop to buy a packet of B&H and some bovril crisps... :D

cool, looks a really nice rider. Winter blank canvas project sounds good too :)

hamster":1l4u8qyk said:
A really, really nice bike and sympathetically tidied up but you have to get rid of that naff Megarange cassette / freewheel :shock:

..unless you only ride it in a shell suit to the corner shop to buy a packet of B&H and some bovril crisps... :D

I know, I know... :oops:

The freewheel was in the toolbox and the original 6 speed shimano uniglide one was completely knackered so it'll have to stay on for now. I also wanted to see if the mech/shifters would take a 7 speed setup and it works perfectly! Sadly our local 'Super Buy' corner shop seems to be closing down so best I can do is a packet of Smokey Bacon and 20 Royals ;)

Back