1994 Merida

ancient biker

Devout Dirtbag
Here's a picture of my firts 'serious' mountain bike.

I haven't seen any of these on here but it would be great to find out a bit more about them :?:

This came with cork grips and a lovely brown saddle and it was the shiniest thing in the shop (within my limited price range :D ) and sat alongside konas and rocky mountains.

I've replaced various bit over the years with a major refit in 1998 of new brakes, forks, stem, and a lovely riser bar. More recent arrivals are new shifters and hubs (737s) from the forum. In fact the only original bits are the frame, BB, front and rear mechs :LOL:

Its served me well and i really like its short geometry. Pretty light too - says 'superlight' on the frame so must be true............

Anyone else ever ride one of these and any suggestions for a replacement frame with similar geometry :?: - this one isn't going to last forever.

darren

Attachments

• IMG_4229.jpg
    IMG_4229.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 3,763
Merida

Nice Merida....

I hope the frame lasts a while for you.

As far as a something similar, maybe a Giant?

My second mountain bike was a Merida Albontech 880 back in 1994...

A friend has it now and its still going strong.

Attachments

• Merida Albontech 880.jpg
    Merida Albontech 880.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3,709
I have exactly the same bike!
I raced mine 1994! Was it equipped with STX-RC gears etc?
Very nice! Its a similar frame as Marin Muirwoods from 90s - 2007... they used CrMo frames that are identical with this Merida probably " Borrowed " the looks from Marin!? ;)

If you clean it, oil and polish the rusty parts it will last forever!!!

I have turned mine into a single-speed! I killed the gears and wanted to try something different...
works nice and is very good for your lungs! ;)

Best ride!

Cheers/ Fredo

Back