1996 Kona Cinder cone

Aaldert

Kona Fan
Hi people,

In 1997 I wanted a new mountain bike. My bike was a basic Giant mountain bike, but it was too heavy and not suited to what I was doing with it. For example, I broke or bend several forks.
At that time I loved Kona's very much. On the internet I found a nice Kona. It was an older model, so the price had dropped. To get it I had to travel across the country to Eindhoven, Netherlands. Yes I am a Dutch guy. Since I was a student, I travelled by train. So in 1997 I bought my second mountain bike, a Kona Cinder Cone, it was a 1996 model.

I have used it regularly, mostly one day a week, sometimes more. I used the bike on several vacations, for Example tot the Pyrenees. The bike was a real joy to ride.

A few years ago I stopped cycling, because of other sports, work, house or just being lazy. Since last January I am riding my bike again, taking it to the local single trails in the forest nearby. It is still my good old Kona at the age of 13 years. Mostly every part is still original. The original seat post was broken, I managed wreck my rear wheel when doing some tricks, so I had to get a new rim and the wheel re spoked. I bought a special edition of a Vetta TT transverse saddle, because I liked it very much. Other than the usual brake pads, cables, chain, cassette or chain blades, the bike has all the original parts and still it rides like a dream.

So when I regained my enthusiasm for my good old Cinder Cone, I was searching the internet for some pictures of a 1996 Kona Cinder Cone as I came to this site. I spent several hours, evenings, days reading the posts and looking at the pictures of your bikes. The funny thing is that most of your bikes I dreamt of when I was reading magazines in the mid nineties. I recognised most of the bike parts and bikes. And most of all your enthusiasm of the older bikes is really infectious. I love this forum.

Here are the specs:

Frame: Chromoly, double-butted, 18"

Fork: Kona Project Two, Chromoly, triple-butted

Headset: 1 1/8" Kona Race Light Impact
Stem: Kona Race Light Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Slim, aluminum
Grips: BBB, need replacement
Barends: Ritchey

Brakes: Curve OM brakes
Brake Pads: Coolstop
Brake Cables: Shimano SIS
Cantilever cable hangers: Curve
Brake Levers: Curve OM levers

Shifters: Grip Shift SRT-600
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6 mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT GS
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: unknown
Chain: unknown
Cranks: Sugino Impel 500, 24/32/42 teeth
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings:
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-LP26, 113 mm spindle
Pedals: Ritchey Logic SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT and BBB
Rims: Front: Mavic 221, 32-hole; Rear: Mavic 220
Hubs: Front: Kona; Rear: Shimano LX
Nipples:
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Vetta TT Transverse, special
Seatpost: Acor
Seatpost Binder: Kona Dog Collar

Weight: 11,3 Kg

Cheers,

Aaldert

My 1996 Kona Cinder Cone

So as I have introduced myself, I would like to share my bike with you, so I gave it a good cleaning and polishing job and took some pictures. Here they are, I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Aaldert

1996CinderCone539.jpg

1996CinderCone540.jpg

1996CinderCone541.jpg

1996CinderCone542.jpg

1996CinderCone543.jpg

1996CinderCone544.jpg

1996CinderCone545.jpg

1996CinderCone546.jpg

1996CinderCone547.jpg

1996CinderCone548.jpg

1996CinderCone549.jpg

1996CinderCone551.jpg

1996CinderCone552.jpg

1996CinderCone553.jpg

1996CinderCone555.jpg

1996CinderCone556.jpg

1996CinderCone557.jpg

1996CinderCone558.jpg

1996CinderCone559.jpg

1996CinderCone560.jpg

Thank you guys!

I love my bike too. It rides really well, quick and swift.

I have made some changes to the bike. I will take some pictures when the weather better. I hope you still like the "new" bike as much.

So keep watching.

Cheers,

Aaldert

Latest posts

Back