1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype *Final result!*

Senri":cb4132m2 said:
As I understood, Rafty's could be ordered with almost any partslist you wanted. I even think the Spinergy wheels were original, together with some of the remaining XT parts. Maybe even the Marzocchi Z3 is original. Depending on how you look at it, fortunally or unfortunally, I will replace almost all parts except the stem. It is a Ringle so I will keep this.

Yes, could be ordered with everything, more or less like in a regular shop. I do think there were strong ties with Footwork, given the much Footwork parts I in general spot on Raftys and the story I seem to remember about them cooperating in some kind of way. Also recall a picture in an early 90s mag with both gentleman posing in midst of Rafty and Footwork stuff. Maybe something to ask him about, next time you're visiting him. My knowledge on Rafty is also quite limited. I am pretty sure there is much more to learn.

Is the stem a Ringle? Are you sure? Many hold a ALPA/Footwork for a Ringle. Is the face plate fully rounded or flat with edges? Is the locking bolt of the wedge clamp visable on 1 or 2 sides?

The Marzocchi must not have been original specs. It is newer.

Looking forward to seeing the next picture installment.

Is it a metalic colour green you are using or a regular flat colour?

Finally I got my headset, so I got the frame back from Edward with the headset pressed in and I installed the BB.
DSCN3124sm.jpg

That is awesome. It's got an indestructable look about it. I think if the military had mtb's they would have these. :D

Senri":1j8wod2n said:
Finally I got my headset, so I got the frame back from Edward with the headset pressed in and I installed the BB.
DSCN3124sm.jpg

Makes a nice apple green(?) fat boy :)

You can clearly can see the difference with my (later era) one. Of course the boomtube and the lower tube in front triangle which are square instead of round. Moreover is the higher tube much beefier. The seatstays connect further away from the dropout to the elevated stay. The dropouts themself do differ too: Mines say 'Oria', an Italian tubing manufacturer. Does your dropout tell you something?

Did Edward tell you anything about age? I would think 1994. I recall a clip in MTB+ showing a Rafty and saying it was new to the market. It must have been somewhere around mid 1994 I think.

Looks very promising. Keep us posted.

This is just as I imagined it would look very nice indeed

The colour is very right and the white decals goes well with it

I remember someone in an MTB club I rode in back in '93/94 had a Mantis in a similar green.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I am really happy with the green and the overall outcome. On the history, I didn't talk with Edward on this subject so extensively. I think he made the frames in order of the one who was marketing Rafty at the time and had some freedom in the design. I guess he had already a machineshop then. This was one of the first tries and only two were made. Everything is hand made, no outsourced parts.

Ok, I have to adjust it and it needs some tweaking here and there, but this is it! First the specs:
Frame: 1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype

Fork: Control Tech Lawwill Leader

Headset: Chris King NoThreadset
Stem: Ringle or Footwork
Handlebar: Acos riser
Grips: Oury

Brakes: Avid Tri-Align
Brake Pads: Koolstop EagleClaw 2
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Cantilever cable hangers: Odyssey Straddle rods
Brake Levers: Kooka

Shifters: Shimano SL-M739
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M737
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M737 (with SRP alu hanger bolt and Tacx wheels with ceramic bearings)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR
Cassette: Shimano CS-M737
Chain: Shimano HG-91
Cranks: RaceFace Forged
Crank Bolts: standard
Chainrings: Race Face
Chainring bolts: SRP
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood
Pedals: Odyssey Black Widow Lite

Hub Skewers: Ringle and ??
Rims: Sun 0 degrees XC
Hubs: Ringle Super Bubba & Ringle 439
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon (26x2.00)

Saddle: San Marcos Rolls
Seatpost: American Classic
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Flip-off

Cage: Ringle H2O

I have tried to keep most time correct, but I used some artistic freedom as well... Some parts are NOS, other in very good shape. Enjoy!

DSCN3125sm.jpg

DSCN3127sm.jpg

DSCN3128sm.jpg

Hi Senri,

Very bling. You clearly didn't save on effort. Pretty much everything looks perfectly period correct to me.

I can tell the stem is a Footwork. The Footwork is heavier than the Ringle Zooka and the face plate can have more abuse. Please be carefull with tightening the face plate bolts though. I think their threads strip relatively easy. Especially important as you're using a bar with some leverage.

I do not know whether you will using the bike and where you will be using it, but I think for the aesthetics sake a gain could be made with a straight bar (maybe a bit too much going on now), of course off road tyres and maybe a more svelte seat.

Never knew 'Rafty' was not Edwards own thing !

Thanks! I will keep the stem thing in mind. Well, the saddle, tires and riser bar were actually choosen in the beginning. I bought this bike as I wanted to do some XC in Italy, but al lot will be roads and gravel. This project went a bit out of hand though..... I am not really sure what I will do now. I am almost to afraid to use it! But I still have to sort out the fork first, as it doesn't hold air and I am not sure about the oil aswell.

Back