Raleigh and RIH

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, Neil has outed my latest Dutch haul so here's some more details:

1) Just had to bring home this Raleigh 531c with full Nuovo Record groupset bar Mavic G40 (predecessor to the classic MA40s) on Super Record. Stem is a whopping 145mm :shock: Needs a good clean plus possibly a new b/b but not bad for £110 including a new pair of skinwalls.

2) RIH Luxe 531 frame with chrome forks. RIH are a Dutch framebuilder and I have visited and spoken with the man himself in Amsterdam. I can't remember how many World Champions have ridden RIH, think it is over 70 which isn't a bad palmares.

Attachments

• RIH Luxe frame.JPG
    RIH Luxe frame.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,254
Last one, with the Nuovo Record this time

Attachments

• Raleigh pedal.JPG
    Raleigh pedal.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,247
Bet you that Raleigh is an Ilkeston built thingy with 'SBU' or 'SB' in the serial number - its the spit of mine but in far better original condition.

Although mine looks healthier now:
raleigh_sbu_920.jpg

ededwards":2cody92e said:
full Nuovo Record groupset bar Mavic G40 (predecessor to the classic MA40s) on Super Record.

There was no such thing as Super Record hubs and brake calipers....

So 100% NR then.

dbmtb":in9hx38s said:
ededwards":in9hx38s said:
full Nuovo Record groupset bar Mavic G40 (predecessor to the classic MA40s) on Super Record.

There was no such thing as Super Record hubs and brake calipers....

So 100% NR then.

Really? Top information and I didn't know that.

Incidentally I have seen two different sorts of very similar era (86-87ish) Record brake calipers (Melvin will confirm this). Wasn't there a version with titanium bolts that is often referred, perhaps incorrectly rather than by Campag themselves, to as Super Record? Perhaps the Super Record and Nuovo Record brake levers lead to the misconception that the calipers were also different?

This is obviously me trying to wriggle out of my embarrassing mistake :oops: but If you've got a link to more information I'd be really interested.

There excist SR specific callipers with Italic Campagnolo script and SR specific lock nut on the front side. I do not know of ti parts. I think there were SR hubs with ti axles. Looked alike NR.

The stuff you are talking about was likely as not only briefly available. The only parts that were available through the Super Record run were rear mechs (major changes to design around '81), headsets, brake levers and chainrings/sets. Front mechs came and went in different versions . Ti BBs and pedals came, went and came back.

SR Hubsets and brake calipers, if they ever were available, were only available for a very short period of time. Brakesets with scripted logos were the very last version of the Record caliper, as used on coballtos and anniversary brakes.

There MAY have been a run of Super Record brakes and hubs for one year or something - but they are certainly out of the timescale for Ed's bike. I've never seen mention of them in any of the catalogs you can find online in the various archives - but there are a couple of "holes" in said archives.

Again, really interesting stuff - not doubting any of it but any links to more info would be great.

Back