Full repair job OR NOS purchase?

arse scant, could have told me!!

Though actually, having just bought my first ever FS bike (new skool, obviously :)) not sure bike 6 could get past the wife. :cry:

cchris2lou
yes , thanks for the help and the post on the french forum
took a chance and rung my local marin dealer all too pleased to help

:D SLIM

GUMP
do like i do and stash it in the attic until a few months have gone by / until shes in a more favourable mood
secretly bringing it down to work on while shes in work :twisted:

SHIT now ive outed myself , better hide QUICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry! assumed everyone had seen the attitude! I bid but didnt win. It needed some major love, new BB & headset bearings, seat tower sawing off & press fit 1 fitting & major paint touch-up / or respray.

1/2 hearted bid by me, coz I'm still looking for the holly grail spesky ultimate :roll:

wow, that is a rebuild.

I already have stuff sent to work not home. Some people (most?) just don't understand :cry:

I bought my wife a new digital camera for Chrstmas, so my git of a brother jokingly suggested she takes picures every week of my bikes to see whats changed. he he. git. She hasn't obviously cos she trusts me :D

Not really, well at all, old skool, but I am currently stripping all the paint from the tinbred, and going through a laborious process of sanding, scouring, polishing and scotchbriting the ti. Looking shweeet the bits that are done :shock:
So, a resto job, but not retro.
And new decals from Gil.....

Before and after pics - just to show..

b4.jpg

Nah the original paint was easily scraped off with a screwdriver - and there was minor surface rust on chainsuck area, minor dents in downtube, exposed bare metal around chainstays etc. Its amazing what a photo doesnt show...

I know its bloody obvious, but I am still always amazed by how good a new paintjob can make a frame look.

Stunning :D

Old frames can be brought bike to life with some hard work, and its satisfying to see the finished result like the mtn goat. Parts are harder though, bringing a scratched stem or bars back to condition or a floppy rear mech is pretty impossible. M900 cranks however will go on forever getting repolished to look good as new :)

Does anyone know what the score is with getting parts re-anodised? I heard this can weaken the grain of the metal? Also I guess parts would have to be sanded super smooth beforehand as well to get an even finish?

my mate webby has got some re-anodnised (any colour as long as its black!) for me before. I;m no engineer, but I cant see how it would harm it. its only a minor surface treatment.. & yeh any blemishs really show up once a part has been re-anodised.

with care its possible to polish mechs etc. heck I do it all the time ;) admittadly getting the slop outta old mechs takes the skills of my BA engineer mate & is probabily beyond the realms of what is normally considered repairable ;) (please dont start mailing me with requests!)

Back