I own a Fat.

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
I dont know if any of you saw this:

b855_12.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Its perfect for what I'm looking for. Its beat to hell, and needs a lot of TLC. I got it on the cheap, I think, and I'm pretty excited. Its going to take awhile though.

Does anyone have an 86 Fat catalogue?

Time to see what all the fuss is about :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Now there's a project!
Could be very nice though, with a bit of effort.
Having seen your Kona i'd say you're the right man for the job!

"right man for the job"

just for the record are you a man or a woman?

this is no way sexist (although how can it not be) but if your a woman / girl
you suddenly get extra kudos for the kona!

Alex

Hi,

Yes, I did notice it. It is indeed a great project for you Amey. A bit rusty here and there, but of course such won't be a serious problem for someone with obviously 2 right hands. I hope inside is a bit clean/free of rust though.

The fork doesn't look like a great match too me. It may very well be a great fork, but it is brazed. And FAT is about synonym for welding.

I do like the early FATs. They are generally actually my favourite. I really dig MikeyNYC's Wickeds for example. I think -but I am not sure on that- that in the early days the Chris and the gang were able to take a little bit more time for each frame. Add up to that I like the geometry of eighties bikes more.

Good luck restoring!

I'm a man, real name is Mike. Ameybrook was a state park we used to ride in back east.

Thanks for kind words. I'm gonna need some help with this one.

First off, what size seatpost?

Second, I've been reading around to determine whether it's a wicked or a regular Fat, I need to check the head/seat tube angles. Was it the wicked with the steep 69 degree head tube, or the other way around? :?:

I'm skeptical about the BB collars. The seller says they're intact, but I have my doubts (from the pics). Other than fatcogs, is Ebay my best bet?

Thanks everyone.

Mike,

I looked seriously at that as a fun project...what you need to consider;

after stripping and beadblasting, take a good look at the seattube. There are two holes drilled through from a stuck seatpost that causes two issues; one, there may be more structural damage to the seatube from the traumatic seatpost removal, two...open holes subject these frames to rusty interior states. The whole seat tube may need to be replaced. Not hard, but a bit time consuming.

As for the bb collars, I have NOS ones in black or silver I can set you up with.

If you have any questions or I can help out, let me know.

cheers,

rody

Back