Vitus 979 what do you know?

Well I've bought the frame and awaiting it's arrival now. I'll just have to decide now what components would be best.

Thanks for all your help

Alison

For sale (54 cm)
P6250031.JPG

VeloVitus2.jpg

I had one for a few months that I bought for $70.

I weigh 215lbs, and had read that as the frame get older, the glue/bonding materials get jiggly, and this can result in frame failure.

So I sold it for $190, and took some cool pictures.

I kinda miss it, but I'm happy with my pop's old Razesa, now that he's passed away and all.

buy one mate, there sweet, i had one in the early 90's before my giant cadex, i prefered the vitus, it became my hack in the end, and a great one at that ;)

paul

here's mine which I built up and sold on about a year ago to fund other projects... was unbelievably rapid (though I normally ride MTBs so most road bikes are to me) and while I never had any problems with frame or it's bonding, I did feel a bit nervous on Manchester's dodgy roads!

n586536170_2829239_4533356.jpg

That looks a very nice bike, pity you've sold it. As they were so light in comparison to even 753 tubing, they were very popular in the 80's for Time Trialling before 'aero tubed' low profiles became 'de-rigeur'.

Mind you, I think they also made a LP version, isn't there one on here somewhere - from Holland?

I have a 1983 Vitus catalogue which shows 3 tube profiles for the Down and Seat tubes. The normal Round, a 'Lozenge' shape with 6 'flats' along its length and an aero'ish 'Teardrop' profile. However, the top tube remains Round and the special shaping is not along the full length of the other tubes as the lugs are still the normal ones.

I can't remember seeing anything other than the Round tubed ones myself.

when we were a group of is started to get a bit more seriously about riding during the latter years at school (regular club runs etc) some of us managed to persuade parents we needed better bikes....One of the lads turned up one day on a 979..Needless to say he was held in high regard from that day forward as we all dribbled over his gorgeous machine and huddled around it daily in the bike shed....

I still have a soft spot for them

I wanted the Peugeot Perthus in my LBS but ended up with a 531 raleigh

Back