Tim Gould's Team Peugeot Roberts White Spider

Peugeot

Back then it wasn't just XC, if I remebered events consisted of an XC a hill climb and a downhill over 3/4 days and all had to be on the same bike, so bikes were not that light to stand the DH race!!! Whats does the frame weigh on this out of interest?

Patina

I've been concentrating on the frame and learning about patina. It's an allusive term, but whatever it is, I'm getting hooked. :D

Cleaning this meant a good rub down with white spirit and some cotton bud action on the nooks and crannies.

What I was left with was bright paint interspersed with chain, cable and pebble rash on the stays, top tube and down tube; also some missing paint round the front mech band; a few stone chips and mechanics' marks.

Where the metal was exposed, it's been rubbed down with fine wetndry and overcoated with clear laquer. For the record, the frame weighs 5.7lbs with fixed BB cup and head races in place. And when you ting it with your fingernail, it rings out like Bow bells. ;)

Perhaps the trickiest to deal with -- and to do the right thing by -- were the decals. These are plentiful [Peugeot intent on getting their money's worth] and well scuffed in places.

After a good clean I still wasn't happy: the frays and edges showed lines of dirt, and were masking loose paint under thier yellow age. This forced me to a decision. The first rule of patina is: it isn't dirt, it's what's left when you remove the grubbiness.

So, stanley knife to the decal edges, and like a happy surgeon I'd nipped and tucked the nicotine patches and flyblown rags. A rub down with carb cleaner and the results are in the pictures.

Going for a patina build has accentuated some of the scars; but at least now that is just what they are - hard-won trophies not smears from the shed.

Next steps are to source and fit a new head set and BB: the originals have earned their keep already.

Couple of frame details. First, a brazed-on boss on the lower seat stay: chain hanger for wheel changes.

Second, the rarely seen [at least by me] Reynolds Service de Course tube sticker:

Getting back to the patina thing, which I guess is the theme today, I still remain skeptical in some ways -- it does get used in a general way to lend weight to mediocrity: like "farm fresh" or "iconic". But, patiently fettling this old bike, it felt right.

Okay. Last word to a patinated pedal that I spent the evening with: a nicely-used narrow body m731 mated to one of the cyclocross clips. It and it's partner will replace the worn-out Tioga Surefoot III's that the bike came with.

cheers

DB :D

Attachments

• Gould Roberts 033 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 033 (Custom).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Gould Roberts 035 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 035 (Custom).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Gould Roberts 036 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 036 (Custom).jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Gould Roberts 038 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 038 (Custom).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 60
  • Gould Roberts 039 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 039 (Custom).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Gould Roberts 040 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 040 (Custom).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Gould Roberts 034 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 034 (Custom).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Gould Roberts 041 (Custom).jpg
    Gould Roberts 041 (Custom).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 63
Looking good. You can see it's definitely got a 'history'!

The brazing on the seat stay will be a chain-hanger. It should be sort of mushroom shaped but to be honest, I've never found them much use, the chain still falls on the floor as soon as you move the bike without the back wheel.

Great stuff. does look rough but part of story.

If any clown says "ya need a new bike mate", Just laugh! A war patina'd Land Rover is cooler and earnt its stripes more than some posy Hummer or X5 or Cayenne pepper on 'sick' 20" blingers! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nice one, We'll havea VIPs event at this rate!

Re: Patina

doctor-bond":2xyjiyib said:
Getting back to the patina thing, which I guess is the theme today, I still remain skeptical in some ways -- it does get used in a genral way to lend weight to mediocrity: like "farm fresh" or "iconic". But, patiently fettling this old bike, it was an idea which I needed.

Patina can certainly be a misused term, usually by chancers who want to either prove 'authenticity' or try to spin something old and tattered as something rare and valuable.

All that said, what you have here is genuine patina my friend!

It's cleaned up really well. Think your spot on gently rubbing back and lacquering the rough parts, good stuff. Just love the history of this bike.

Great story and looks like a really interesting resto...good luck on sourcing all your parts, can't wait to see the final build.

Any luck tracking down Tim?

Rich

Weight

The 5.7 pounds backs up what I was saying, they had to withstand DH races too! A sub 4 pound triple butted rocket would have easily been buildable, but would fold like a tin can on the DH sections, just goes to show, the pro's don't ride just ultralight handbuilt frames!

Back