Retro Marin F/S, ProStop Hydraulics, XT, Bombers - How much?

wanderer

Dirt Disciple
Hello, total newbie here,

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to throw on this.

I'm thinking of selling my old Marin full sus. however, I purchased it second hand and don't know what it is - B17, Mount Vision, Wolf Ridge etc. Looks as though its been stripped back to the brushed Aluminium state it is now in.

It is pre disk brakes though they can be fitted via an adaptor. Forks have been renewed so they are disk ready. As it stands it has Bomber forks on, shock works shock, pro stop hydraulics (retro Mountain Cycle brakes with huge disks - can't seem to get these to bleed though (no longer in production so can't find rebuild kit)), it has nearly new XT gears (about 20 miles of action). It has Sunn rims on Mountain Cycle hubs wearing Tioga D/H tyres, I think the headset is an FSA Orbit. I had an adaptor fabricated for the rear caliper but, unless I can get them sorted, it'll be a case of fitting V-brakes again.

Apr28104.jpg

If anybody has had any experience of these brakes, any assistance would be most gratefully received.

Rear disc brake - I fitted one to a Marin swingarm like yours once about six years ago.

They have helicoil type bolts which which thread into the holes on the swingarm and provides smaller bolt holes. You then need an L shaped lump of aluminium which is the size of a small terraced house but has 'Marin' machined into it. This then provides a mount which is for the old Formula standard rather than IS.

Not sure if a newer swingarm could be fitted but that might be easier.

Dave_H - cheers, I have an adaptor fitted to the swingarm as you mentioned (not shown in pic). The problem is the Pro Stop (Mountain Cycle brakes), they just won't bleed, on top of that I can't find a maintenence kit for them i.e. new seels etc. Anyone - or any idea of price to sell the bike at if I fit some V- brakes?

Cheers,
Simon

Tried the Mountain Cycle support - no use though unfortunatley. As for the Hopes, I think it would mean changing the Hubs also, as the ones on the bike at the moment have a different bolt pattern. Starts to get expensive when the wheels being rebuilt is taken into consideration (I'm only going on what people told me when I asked if would be possible to put differnet brakes on).

Simon

I bet Hope would custom make rotors in the required bolt pattern - you're right though, it's starting to get expensive.

Could you get whoever made your rear mount to custom make adaptors to move an IS caliper out to make it fit to your 9"(?) rotors?

I guess there's no easy answer.

Oh, and my B17 had a remote reservoir shock the same as yours so it's quite likely that's what you've got.

Thanks again, the guy that did the adaptor would no doubt be able to manage the fabrication you mention but, unfortunately he no longer works at our local shop.

Also, the thickness of the disk may then be a problem as the Prostop rotors are about 4mm thick - thicker than you're average rotor, would the hope calliper cope with that?

Cheers,
Simon

You know, I try my best to help but all you give a problems! ;)

C2s can be opened pretty wide but probably not that wide. Getting Hope to machine the rotors to fit the hub would probably be the easiest bet if you can't sort the brakes out. Whatever you do, I guess it's gonna cost.

Back