Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Wow! Those ti bits look incredible. And there was I getting chuffed after polishing up some DX bits. This is going to be one amazing looking bike. Plenty of ideas for my Marin here but I doubt that many people could match your dedication, skills and attention to detail.
Can't wait to see the finished bike but I'll be sad when this thread has to end though.
Well done that man!

Thanks for the comments gents, some real nice encouraging remarks have been made :cool:

Well I managed to spend a little time on it on Sunday morning before family came around :D

Had a bit of a panic with the flex stem – I went to refit the plastic pivot bushes and they just fell into place (should be a press fit) :shock: I have three sets of these so I tried the second set and got the same issue I was wondering what was going on until I tried the third set and they were spot on, turns out that there are two sizes of bushes with the Ti stems using the larger type due to the thinner wall thickness of the ‘loop’ at the back of the stem :D

Any how, I wouldn’t have chosen to do a ‘mock up’ but as it had been asked for here it is :

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04107.jpg

Apologies for the bad lighting but it was all rather rushed as I was running out of time. There is actually very little that’s been ‘mocked up’. Everything on the bike is now there to stay other than the chain rings and stem / bars which still need bits assembling etc. I am not as tall as the seat would suggest either :LOL: It’s staying high until it get set for me – I don’t want to be moving it up and down during the build as I want the finish to remain unmarked.

Having now seen it on its wheels I am really pleased with how it looks and am happy that I made the decision to de-lug the frame and forks and remove the chain stay bridge, Its surprising how much ‘cleaner’ it has made the bike look (comparing to how it looked for the last 19 years – I know some high end bikes come without them in the first place but I have never had one of those :( :LOL: )

Hopefully this week I will finish the stem / bars and crank / chain rings etc and if I get a chance I will then start on the canties and shifters etc :D

WD :D

Truly awesome.

As to high-end, well I think it looks pretty high-end to me. Steel is real, the attention to detail is outstanding.

I've seen plenty of muppets on expensive, high-end bikes, who don't do any more than newbies on entry-level bikes.

I always like Bear Valleys, and Marins of that era - never had one, but always thought they looked no-nonsense bike.

Congrats - you've got a bike that any cyclist would be proud of. Bike of the year for me.

Looks fantastic, the attention to detail is really shining through. Only slight downer for me is the absence of skinwall tyres, conti amber wall slicks would be perfect IMHO.

sinnett177":5bil1xp7 said:
Looks fantastic, the attention to detail is really shining through. Only slight downer for me is the absence of skinwall tyres, conti amber wall slicks would be perfect IMHO.

I disagree, I think the black complements the colour theme and amber would add an unecessary blend.

What a build by the way. The shot blasted kit is great, I'm really lovin' the frame colour. It just shows that with some thought you can make a stunning bike with a limited colour pallet. Modern day manufacturers watch and learn!

Neil G":5vcb2ff9 said:
Not the blingiest bike on RB

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Bling reminds me of sovereign rings, love n' hate tattoos, Burberry clothing, chavved Citreon Saxos...

Quality and engineering when it comes to bikes. It's the Sheldon way.

Back