1994 Rafty Funnel Prototype *Final result!*

Kawasaki green... hmm, I think my green is brighter, more vivid, but I haven't seen it yet. It was just a part on another frame and he would try to match that.

similar?
DSCN0550.jpg

BITD my nephew's brother was a reseller here in the NL. WRD stands for Will's Racing Division and had some sort of connection with PeZa trading (Peter-Paul Zalm).

A friend of mine had a blue one which was blinged out to the max. This was the reason I was trying to sell my Cannondale M800 Beast of the East. I could buy it cheap from WRD. Unfortunately my nephew's brother wasn't that honest :(

I had paid some cash upfront to build up the frame. But at that time I discovered that they tend to break (Be carefull of that:!: :!: :!: ). When I tried to get my money back and telling him I did not want the frmae anymore, he vanished . We haven't seen him since. I got my money back thanks to his mom and as it turns out, he went bankrupt.

I did geta free Troxel Troy Lee helmet though!

I think I am the other Rafty owner mentioned. This pic reminds me I have to find some time to polish mine again.

The Rafty crowd was a crowd with a relaxed attitude. You could think kinda like Yeti, but no, I think even Yeti was much more serious. Senri, you're mentioning a few Raftys were made. I think dozens or even an amount over one hundred are made. That is not much of course, but maybe a bit much for 'a few'? Highly subjective of course. What is not subjective is that it would be the among the 1st aluminium MTBs, according to what you're saying. Charlie Cunningham was experimenting with Al for off road bicycles in already late 70s and also 'house, garden and kitchen' brands like Cannondale and Klein were around since mid 80s.

I think the mellow image, the wild appearance and the custom manufacturering were the most important features of a Rafty back than. I think also a lot went from mouth to mouth and through direct contacts with the builder.

Senri, will the stem make its return? It is a ALPA/Footwork and it is a Dutch component. It was often seen on Raftys. Mine has one too. Footwork made more parts: posts, hubs, anti chainsuck thing, QRs, brake booster.... I think Mammoet still has a couple Footwork hubs.

Thanks for the great coverage so far. I am really enjoying it and I am looking forward to the next update.

As I understood, Rafty's could be ordered with almost any partslist you wanted. I even think the Spinergy wheels were original, together with some of the remaining XT parts. Maybe even the Marzocchi Z3 is original. Depending on how you look at it, fortunally or unfortunally, I will replace almost all parts except the stem. It is a Ringle so I will keep this.

I agree that "a few" is maybe a bit understated, but a serie of about a hundred, and with my particular model even only 2, is in the light of big brands like Cannondale, Trek, Specialized etc, etc, very little.

In that same context I ment the "first alu MTB" statement. Of course some big brands already replaced their steel tubing for alu (and for me personally in particular the oversized tubes of Cannondale are a vivid memory), but small scale builders (certainly in Holland) just started to experiment with alu frames for MTB use in the first half of the 90's. But I do stand corrected for the real first alu MTB's.

I do apologize for any misinformation. I was very interested in MTB's around end 80's, but have never been "in the scene" that much, so I learn everyday, especially here on this forum!

Without the history, I just fell in love with the square tubing of this Rafty, the sort of industrial look. Remember, I didn't even know what it was when I bought it! And the parts I have bought for it now are choosen because I like the technical side and estetics. It is real personal choice.

I will keep you informed.

Back