18lb, 4oz ...of Tom's finest steel.. . :) updates page 5

Nice one, glad to see its been ridden too. Any idea why its got 3 bosses on seat tube? :?

Thanks guys ,, The final parts have arrived , so I'll be updating this thread soon...

Jack, the three bottle boss bolts are to alter the cage distance for 'shouldering' ;)

Looks fantastic si well done ,getting it under 19lbs is pretty damn amazing. :cool:
Good choice on the white cable outers ,they seem to disappear into the background ,gives a cleaner uncluttered look :cool:

Overall loovley

:? Can i not like the modern xt though
Too modern ,but thats my just personal opinion as i never liked the look of that groupstl
But other than that cool,i do like it :D

Cheers lads :) ;)

I've put quite a bit of thought into this build at the min, just been spending some 'chill out' time in the workshop tonight , stripped the whole bike down, and started to weight every nut and bolt,

I have lost some more weight off components , really not sure what this is down too yet, trying to keep the build sympathetic to the roots of the bike, I hope you agree..

The rear mech which has now been changed to the above pics ;) the new one has already lost 73 grams, and the jockey wheels have not been changed :shock: :LOL: ,the cable pinch bolts on each arm were originally 5.1 grams each, these have now been replaced, and they now weight 2.2 grams each :D .. and there is more to come off still.. might be a bit extreme but I am having fun.. ;)

For me at least its going to be interesting how far I can go with this, the bike just seems to feel right , and this can only be a good thing .. :)

Thanks for your kind comments, look out for the final build pictures soon..

:)

I found mine at under 22lb with modern heavy-ish Conti 2.3 tyres is a complete blast, light but can still take some stick. Not exactly retro in nature, but the tyres do allow the bike to shine that bit more. There was more weight to be saved in the stem and saddle, but they're comfy and i like the look, after all never sacrifice style for speed :LOL:
Be interested to see how this pans out

Just got the digital scales through today chaps :)

Its not quite as light as I thought but still I think 19.03lbs is not too shabby.. :cool: :) :)

I'll get some pics up when I get a min, to confirm the weight ;)

Further weight reductions will be... the pedals,seat, and brakes, and levers so I think we will be looking at a finished weight of around 18 to 18.5lbs :) :)

Back