import duty / VAT

Need to bump this up to see if anyone can help.

Bought some forks and bars from the States, total cost £60 inc. shipping, but now I've been hit with a bill for £30.33 for VAT which I have to pay before they'll deliver. Thats not including the £14.18 Import duty and 'fee' by ParcelForce.

I'm not going to pay £45 to receive £60 worth of stuff, but how do I query this?????

My only alternative is to tell them to send it back to the states and ask the seller nicely for a refund, but I obviously don't want to do this as its hassle all round and I don't get my bits :(

Help!!!!!!

basically either you pay the money & receive the parts, or they keep the stuff in customs. you could try querying it with customs, but they've heard it all before :roll:

I just think of it as an unknown extra/hassle when I get stuff from across the pond.
Whatever the final sell price plus postage, I reckon on add 3rd and see if it still looks worthwhile.

Parcel farce handling fee was £9 recently, which I thought was OK.

I think people are so used to the single market in Europe now that they think it applies everywhere. As a rule you should be wary of importing things from outside the EU and make sure you understand what your liabilities could be.

If you try and evade your liability by claiming that you're doing something that you're not you can add criminal charges to the possible outcomes.

I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom, but you really need to be aware. Work out how much something will cost you, in total, before you buy it.

russel, ask them what tax code the item is being delivered under,sounds like you are paying way too high a charge there.

you could tell them it is on temporary import and that it is being moved on outside of the uk, they then have to waive all vat and duty. explain that you are working on the items and then sending them back.

terryhfs":1wvh05ce said:
you really need to be aware.

??? Mate, do the maths!

I have no problem with paying VAT, but £30.33 VAT on £60 worth of goods, erm, thats not 17.5%.

I don't believe that the government has introduced a 50% tax rate for second hand cycle spares, has it? We're all pretty much f**ked if it has.

Russell":2vojgyqt said:
terryhfs":2vojgyqt said:
you really need to be aware.

??? Mate, do the maths!

I have no problem with paying VAT, but £30.33 VAT on £60 worth of goods, erm, thats not 17.5%.

I don't believe that the government has introduced a 50% tax rate for second hand cycle spares, has it? We're all pretty much f**ked if it has.

it may also be that they did not believe the delcared value and somehow figured a higher market value. didn't you get an invoice specifing the value and which tax rate they've used?

Carsten

when i imported a NOS LTS frame i bought for $500(just under £270) it cost me £70 to get it from the customs and delivered, i was not happy, but i think in the grand sceime of things the amount of times i have evaded not paying tax on things buy getting steals on deals in the US it kind of weighed up .

I have never had the gall to ask sellers to put that it is a gift, but think that now it would be time to start as it seems to be they are looking out for stuff with my name on it from the States , everything i have bought in via post has been hit with tax recently.

oh well se la vie!

this is the price we pay for wanting nice retro bikes i suppose!

on the other hand we could all club in , but a boat and start illegal contraband smuggeling of new old stock purple bike parts ( i could see it on news 24 now when the we get rumbled!)

Does import duty and/or VAT apply when buying (new parts) from Europe?

Been offered a very, very, very good deal!

Back