Altek Magura lever restoration.

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So this is part of a set of Altek Magura replacement lever and master cylinders. Unfortunately the left hand bar clamp thread is stripped.

I am going to weld it this week and re-tap it. Fingers crossed it goes ok.

Before...

Attachments

• Altek rear 001.jpg
    Altek rear 001.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,127
  • Altek rear 003.jpg
    Altek rear 003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,126
It normally takes an M4 bolt however it has been stripped then drilled out to 6mm. So the next size would be M8 and that won't work. I think this is the only way.

Dr.Robotnik":2uhwyy1n said:
...and we are off it's being welded. Fingers crossed this goes to plan as I need these brakes.

So the drill and trap has already been tried, huh? Sounds like you're doing the right thing to weld and tap. Good luck! Save all the Alteks you can! :cool:

utahdog2003":1m33nc0q said:
Dr.Robotnik":1m33nc0q said:
...and we are off it's being welded. Fingers crossed this goes to plan as I need these brakes.

So the drill and trap has already been tried, huh? Sounds like you're doing the right thing to weld and tap. Good luck! Save all the Alteks you can! :cool:

Thanks 'dog, I guess it was tried already. All I tried was helicoils and the like and as the hole is 6mm they weren't able to help.

BTW I didn't get them into this state it was a previous owner. I seem to like to make things harder for myself by getting incomplete or broken stuff and fixing it. It would be easier, if I factored in my time and effort to buy NOS, but what the hey.

Any who, it should be welded on my colleagues break sometime this week I guess dependent on his work schedule.

Then I'll drill and tap where the real nail biting will begin. Is the hole fully filled, is there enough material, will it hold, etc. :shock:

Dr.Robotnik":1xtnacj5 said:
Any who, it should be welded on my colleagues break sometime this week I guess dependent on his work schedule.

Then I'll drill and tap where the real nail biting will begin. Is the hole fully filled, is there enough material, will it hold, etc. :shock:

Any word?

RE the "will it hold" question...look at it this way...you can't make it any worse by trying. :LOL: Just snug it tight on the bar after repairs and hope! :cool:

Sorry dude no word on this yet, it was going to be a Friday afternoon job but then today we found out our research group at University was shutting down, so have been a bit distracted.

Probably next week. I promise I won't post here again unless I have news or pics. :LOL:

After a long wait due to equipment failures it's finally back from the welders...

To be honest it looks pretty bad as if the welder while battling with the monumental amount of weld melting through he forgot to use soft jaws in the vice and marked just about every surface.

I shouldn't complain though, it was a hard job (and he's previously done great stuff) and it wasn't usable before, so...fingers crossed the jewellers file set and polishing kit can earn its bacon...oh and I have to drill and tap as well.

Pretty dispirited at the mo...:cry:

My mobile phone pictures show nothing but here's a couple anyway...

Back