BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

Time to "de-cloak". :)

Finally managed to extract my dad's Freddie Grubb Tourmalet from his garage - it's been hanging there for at least thirty years - probably last ridden in the early seventies. Pictures to follow!

Since arrival some brake levers (old Weinmann) and saddle (temporary new Brooks) have been fitted. Also thrown on some cables and a chain - all works in principle, though brakes are scary - put this down to the ancient pads.

The brake pads are the original slotted ones (bit like the Fibrax ones at SJS, but with removable pads). Can you still pads that will fit the original carriers?

Picture/gallery links

Pretty much the arrival state:
main.php

More pictures here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=57587

Let the fiddling, cleaning & polishing commence.

ooh - thats old. Cranks will be fun.

If the paint was in good condition with a healthy patina, have you considered a modernish restoration? those brakes are just awfull to use, god only knows how anybody managed back then (they were used in races FFS!)

That retro orange would suit black components like dual pivot brakes, the frame will accept wider rear hubs without too much fuss or lots of shiney shiney stuff!

Just a thought.

Hi thanks for the ideas black bits would look good.

I think for now as it is pretty much all original its going to be a restore rather than replace where possible - despite the time spent hanging up, the hubs spin as well as the more modern ones on my other bikes though the front wheel will need re-spoking if nothing else.

The Witcomb Mixte in my other gallery was a freecycle find - plan was to use it as a source of bits, but once other half said "thats a lovely blue bike", that plan kind of changed. :roll:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=57588

That's had a new chain, tyres & tubes and is good to ride! Will redo the cables and the ugly red foam grips (will probably finish up with flat bars).

legrandefromage":2na00etp said:
ooh - thats old. Cranks will be fun.

If the paint was in good condition with a healthy patina, have you considered a modernish restoration? those brakes are just awfull to use, god only knows how anybody managed back then (they were used in races FFS!)

Nowt wrong wi' them brakes, lad. They wuz orlrite when I wuz a lad! Why do yer want ter stop in a race? Idea is ter go fast!! :shock: :twisted:

New blocks (and possibly cables) will probably improve matters a lot. I've got a pair of the sidepull Weinmann 500's on one bike and they work OK - but I have got modern 'all-in-one' type blocks fitted.

The frame looks fine. If it was mine I'd go for a 'patina' restoration. Clean and polish the frame with a bit of T-Cut, Brillo and Duraglit the alloy fittings etc. It'll come up lovely!

Back