Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Corduroyboy":276bkmsu said:
WD Pro":276bkmsu said:
The pedals I found cheap on eBay – Expedo – Anyone got any comments on them ? Good or bad ? :

I'm with Sinnett on the pedals - lose 'em! They're akin to a ha'p'orth 'o' tar spoiling the ship...

;)

I'd agree - my fave pedals are Tioga Surefoot VI - and very occasionally you can find them on ebay (I bought a NOS pair recently). They would be period for the Bear Valley, I have some on my 95 Apex, and other bikes that I had in the past.

OK, a little bit of movement :oops: :LOL:

I had been looking for a ti use post but seemed to be struggling :( So as not to delay the build any more (is that possible :shock: :oops: ) I have temporarily ‘borrowed’ the one of my mums orange, nice and original :

DSC03989.jpg

So the purists out there will be pleased to know that that the sticker has now gone and it has been partially polished (and deburred - why didnt it come like that ? :? ) along with a few other items :

DSC04032.jpg

The idea being that I can now blast them and then remove the stickers to reveal the logos polished into the ti, I am not sure if it will work but as I have posted pictures of my plans then I cant get out of it if it doesn’t :LOL: The other items are the Ti flex stem and Ti Kolo bar ends :

DSC04038.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04046.jpg

The stickers came via ‘Benandemu’ and I collected them on Saturday (had a good look at his very cool MK1 golf to :cool: ) :

DSC04010.jpg

I am very happy with the final quality, the only thing I wasn’t happy with was my choice of color, I thought silver would look best (hence the order for the repo’s) but after putting them next to the bike then I have now changed my mind to black :oops: This means that the original stickers I got from Marin BITD will (have :cool: ) been used – I am only building this thing once … :LOL:

Fair comments about the pedals :D I was looking for some nice XT bear traps (and specialized clips) but the prices they go for are ridiculous :shock: I also wanted to convert to SPD so seeing as my build isn't exactly 'pure' retro I ‘might’ just try them … :D

WD :D

Always cool seeing a post on this thread :D though I can't work out the bar? Is it part of the complete flexstem/bar?

Thanks for the comment :D

Yes, the ti flexstem is a bar / stem combo :D The other bits have had some attention to, The head is polished (pictures further up), the ally pivot parts have been hard anodised (black) and all the bolts are polished ti. It can all go back together after I do the blasting - hopefully on Thursday if not it will be some time next week ...

This has to be one of the most anticipated builds of the year. :cool:

Bit of an update …

I managed to get to the tool makers last night and use the shot blaster :D I was a little concerned about how the stuff would turn out, or even if it would screw the finish up completely :( but after a few careful trials on one of the bar ends things started to look good :cool:

If anyone has ever blasted titanium before it is a little weird to say the least … At the point where the blast media hits the base material it gives of a dull neon glow / aurora with a similar color to a white (i.e. ice blue) LED but with sparkly bits :shock: after each component was finished it was warm to the touch.

The decals survived very well and other than having a matt finish (they started gloss) looked completely un touched.

Straight from the blaster complete with finger prints and decals :

DSC04060.jpg

DSC04067.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

DSC04061.jpg

Washed off, de stickered and GT85’d :

DSC04070.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

As you can probably tell with the pictures, it’s hard with my ‘point and shoot’ to capture the color / contrast correctly but this is probably the most realistic view of how they look with the naked eye :

DSC04092.jpg

To say I was happy with the results is probably a slight understatement :LOL:

The ‘road ratio’ TA chain rings arrived last night to so if the weather is bad this weekend (so I cant fiddle with cars) I might be getting somewhere near to completion by next week some time … :oops:

PS : Has anyone got a list of tightening torques for bike building ? i.e. crank bolt / chain ring bolt / derailleur mounts / cable clamp torque etc ?

Wow,

that looks perfect !!!

What I like about your project is, that you are so in love with the details.

This bike will look amazing when it is finished !

Malte

Back