1995 Boulder Starship - FINISHED Page 4 - Picture Heavy

Its a bushing. Though I have some time (after all it is only the second time the pivot has been serviced in 14 years - to my knowledge) I hope I will be able to find new bushings. It would be a shame to junk such a classic frame for a worm out pivot.

kerryn":2suihqsi said:
Its a bushing. Though I have some time (after all it is only the second time the pivot has been serviced in 14 years - to my knowledge) I hope I will be able to find new bushings. It would be a shame to junk such a classic frame for a worm out pivot.

You can have a local machine shop turn the replacement bushings you need, long before you junk anything. :cool:

kerryn":2xgr67x6 said:

I don't think you need to worry about your bushing. It will be a standard item available from any decent bearing shop most likely, failing that you can also get them made.

However if there is any slop, do it now as it can cause premature wear on parts which are not so easy to replace.

Thankfully no slop.

I have an email into boulderbikes, but I honestly do not expect a reply. I think they have totally given up and just left the website "hanging" there.

Interesting advice on finding a bearing shop. I'll have to hunt for one of those during the summer. Should be able to find something in the Chicago area...

kerryn":66796fr1 said:
Thankfully no slop.

I have an email into boulderbikes, but I honestly do not expect a reply. I think they have totally given up and just left the website "hanging" there..

don't expect to receive an reply,..they are out of there for a lond time

I just found anther file I saved that may be of use to you.

SWINGARM / SHOCK EYELET BUSHING INSTALLATION

Remove old bushing.

A handy way to do this is with a vise, a 5mm water bottle bolt and a socket wrench. The socket should be approximately 5/8" -3/4" in outside diameter.

Put the bolt into the bushing so that the head is sticking out.

Using the socket as a spacer on the opposite side of the bolt head, put the assembly into a vise and tighten until the bolt head is flush with the eyelet (of the shock or swingarm).

Now, loosen the vise, turn the bolt around and repeat the process until the bushing is pressed all the way out.

Install the new bushing.

The new bushing may be a press fit or it may actually slide right into the hole. Depending on the tightness of fit, pick the appropriate procedure below.

Tight fit If the bushing is a tight fit, grease the outside of the bushing and press it in with the vise. Be sure to press the chamfered (tapered) end in first. Check for fit with the link. If the link won't fit then GENTLY enlarge the hole with a 13/64" reamer (preferred) or drill (OK, but be CAREFUL or you might chew up the bushing). The link should slide in the hole by hand and rotate freely, but not be "sloppy".

Loose fit If the bushing is a loose fit, apply a bonding agent such as Loctite Sleeve Retainer #640 to the outside of the bushing and slide it in place. Let the Loctite dry before installing the link.

LQQK, you are a font of knowledge! Thank you.

How is Cairns by the way? I was up there in 2001. Nice area.....

Well I have started my rebuild though it will be a couple more weeks before it will be all complete, as I am waiting on new parts for my forks from Pace.

I must say that stripping my RC36 EVO II forks down was not the easiest experience. Frankly I was surprised that they worked after the sludge (that used to be oil) that I removed. Word of advise; change the oil more often than once in ten years! :)

I also found a bit of rust - from circlips and the supplementary spring - that will be replaced. Luckily the bearings seem okay, but I still had quite a list of new parts to get...

2 x 56 Circlip-Spring Push Rod.901
2 x 16 Bottom Out
1 x 27 Supplementary Spring
1 x 17 Top Out Elastomer.90
1 x 40 Plastic End Tip
1 x 30 Aluminium Shoulder Washer-Spring Push Rod (missing)
1 x 35 Spring Guide.Main/Sup 90 (missing).

Interestingly, I had the fork converted from 90mm to 70mm when it was installed and I discovered that I was missing a couple of bits should I ever convert it back, so I ordered those as well while I was at it.

So far, the frame is back together, cranks, chain rings and new Time XS Carbon peddles are on (I know the Time are not retro, but they work so much better than my old Specialized Ti peddles...), the rear brake caliper as reassembled and installed last night along with Alligator grippers so that I will not need to zip tie my brake line this time.

On a side note, I am not sure the Grippers are the best. They are set up of 5.5mm cable diameter which is too small for a Hope 6mm hose and a little loose for a Hope 5mm hose, which is going on now. Anyone know of anything better that works with a 5mm hose?

LQQK":2y6uya3a said:
I too would be surprised if you got a reply. These are all the contact details I have for them.

Boulder Bikes
P.O. Box 1400
Lyons, CO 80540

boulderbikes2222@yahoo.com

support@boulderbikes.com

info@boulderbikes.com

Phone orders: (303) 823-5021
Fax orders: (303) 823-5025
Support: (303) 823-5021

I tried the phone number (though not the fax) and it rings but I get no reply. For all I know its now a residential number... The Yahoo email does not get rejected but there is also no reply. The @boulderbikes.com email addresses are rejected.

I did a google search on the phone number and it yielded
BOULDER BIKES
E-MAIL @ c/o info@cyclery.com (boulder bikes)
P.O. Box 1400
Lyons, CO 80540 USA

So I have fired of an email to info@cyclery.com to see if they provide any support. I'll let you know I get any response.

However, both the main number and the fax number now yield differing residential addresses according to Google.

So for now I would summarize that we are pretty much on our own now with keeping Boulders alive and healthy, unless the new email address yields a result.

EDIT: I just tried www.cyclery.com to see if it was a shop. Nope. Its a cycling resource website, but it appears to be to all intents and purposes, dead - just a shell of a site with no content.

So it looks like the official route to support has run out. We're on our own!

Latest posts

Back