Light Components / Dark Components and Coloured Components.

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Don't know about anyone else but...

I kind of work on a rule that a light coloured frame should have black components and a dark coloured frame should have silver components.

And there shouldn't be too much mixing of the two.

And definately stem, post and chainset should be the same colour. It's the holy trinity isn't it? :)

And I'm not sure what to do about coloured components as I always want to find a home for them and never seem to. But then maybe they should all be sent to Jez as he seems to do a very good job of that.

Hmm, I'm kind of going for all black at the moment (on my black Clockwork) - a stealth bike.
The stem and post match (both black Syncros), but the chainset is going to be polished.
Hopefully it'll look good but if not maybe someone will donate me a set of black Syncros cranks!

I've left my purple wheel on the 2nd bike (even though I love it) as I think it'd look daft being the only purple bit on the Clockwork.

It'll probably all change though!

Agree with the comments to a certain extent but sometimes the rules change......my Fuquay had a matching gumbo fork and stem, couldn't bear to paint them different colours to the frame itself so at the moment she has a green stem, black seatpost and purple cranks :shock: planning a silver seatpost, cranks and a honey colour Brooks saddle for her summer makeover :D

Stu

Ah! Colourways.. my favourite part of building bikes up...

I like the idea that the more flamboyant the frame, the less flamboyant the colours of the components.

Some bikes were meant for certain colorways full stop:

White/black dogs bolx is meant to have red highlights.

Pace bikes should always have black and silver.

Kleins work best when black and silver is implented (that is if its a wild colour scheme)

Fat Chances seem to look pretty ok whatever you do to them.

Im perosnally in a black component mood - kinda prefer the look now rather than mad colours...

Re: Light Components / Dark Components and Coloured Componen

Wu-Tangled":1u9c17f7 said:
I kind of work on a rule that a light coloured frame should have black components and a dark coloured frame should have silver components.

And there shouldn't be too much mixing of the two.

And definately stem, post and chainset should be the same colour. It's the holy trinity isn't it? :)

By the above definition I need to find a bright yellow seat post, to match the cranks and stem then on one of my bikes. Can't see that working even if there was someone who made them. ;)

I'd say there's too many exceptions to those rules to set them in stone.

I was going to say don't mix your anno colours, but then was reminded that there are losts of bikes with different anno colours mixed which fit with the overall colour scheme, so even then you can't make that a rule.

Hmm, you might have something there Andrew. I hate it when things are blurred into a more grey area than black and white (and anodised :) )

I'm clearly just a bit too uptight. :) But I do love my rules.

The dude who created this bike had probably only one rule: Swing any colourfull bit, sticker etc you can find on a bike without too much thinking ➡️

000_0009.jpg

And the result: Awesome!

Well, awesome imo :)

Man I love choosing the build for a bike! I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule for these things, I just try to choose a colour/scheme and then stick with it ➡️

GT Psyclone: Black frame > 3DV* & Black/M950 Grey
Fat Chance: Team Purple > Silver, Black & Dark Blue

I guess alot of it come down to inspiration from other riders too, photos in mags & prof. racers.. They help you decide what you do and don't wanna do..

Not a big fan of multi-colour anodising but Herbold's bikes always looked cool no matter what!

* Except that purple King NoThreadSet on Ebay is going crrrazy, so it's gotta be the Pretty & Strong Pink..

ok , agree with some things, not others. i just use a few simple rules.
you must match the colour of the seatpost clamp with the headset, and you must match the front and rear mech. and the biggest must....matching wheels, different hubs/rims/nipples/whatever is a big no-no. find this frustrating when building modern wheels, as the dates/codes on hope hubs dont always tally, aaaarrrgh!!!!!!!!!! oh, and its not ok to have different shades of anodising on one bike.

Latest posts

Back