Sad Sunn Softail Commuter.

Yup elastomer rear end. I have a 99 Sunn Totall UN, not sure if its the exact same model or wether they made a non "UN" model...whatever UN stands for?

Heres mine, it never quite made it to a full complete build, I ran out of space and had to split it down to fit it in my cupboard...after looking at my photos again recently I am keen to give the build another go.

P1010239.jpg

P1010241.jpg

And heres the manufacturer spec of my model:

catalogue99vtt019oz1.jpg

All hardtail sunns are classy looking machines in my mind. Very Kona like in geometry but a little less common. The softail variants take that one stage further.

I remember seeing one BITD and fancying it, so when the chance to buy this frame popped up I jumped at it.

crud":1saxa343 said:
did you change the title or did i miss that?

looks interesting, it does need some TLC tho!

You must have missed it ;)

Are these elastomers still available? Think I'll chat to him see what he may want for it, just out of interest of course :)

Well that was a nice looking bike. Needs a bit of TLC now though. I looked through the 1996 to 2000 manuals to try and identify the year but haven't found it.

It's obviously a Sunn Totall but the spec on it is a bit odd if you look at the catalogues.

The drive train spec and build kit is from 2000.

The Totall was available in chrome in 1998 and 2000 (not 1999), but the decals are different from the catalogues.

By 2000 they'd stopped using the Obsyss forks of that type and the decals on the fork suggest they are from 1998.

Let me know if he is going to part with it and you don't want it.

you wont find spares as Sunn . the company was taken over and a lot of old componenets were thrown away .

i would think it is an older model than 1996 , decals match the 1994 scheme .

cchris2lou":2n1ulm08 said:
you wont find spares as Sunn . the company was taken over and a lot of old componenets were thrown away .

i would think it is an older model than 1996 , decals match the 1994 scheme .

Sorry Chris you are wrong.

The decals are the post 1998, I think 1999 onwards type as can be recognised by the yellow R symbol and changed font on the Sunn decals. Also I do not believe there was a Totall prior to 1998. The soft tail concept was introduced to the Sunn line in 1997 with the Exact Flex.

The spec as well indicates a much later bike.

This is all going from the catalogue info, I could be wrong though.

Sorry mate.

I know all about this mountain bike, because I have got one !

It's a "sunn totall 999" (I bought mine in Agoust 1999, in Andorra) and ALL its pieces seem authentic !!

It was a really nice bike, and nowadays it's a fantastic retro to use daily.

Congratulations to the owner !

Back