Merlin Decals Help...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've had a spare set of Merlin decals for a few years and have kept meaning to put them on, but am not sure if they are like Airfix transfers (where you put them in warm water and they slide off) or what?

I am pretty sure they are not stickers.

Anyone else had any of these or attempted putting any on for anyone?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks...

I put new decals on my Merlin Mountain, they're basically stickers sandwiched between two sheets of sorta waxy type paper.

Remove backing, apply decal that's still stuck to the other sheet, rub until it's firmly applied, peel off second sheet.

Do make sure it's well and truly on before you take the last sheet off though as the decals are a little fragile.

Steve,

I think mine must be different to your unfortunately as those sound like normal laser cuts, but mine appear more like a firm/ hard backing on the decal side (which is back to front) and a thin paper backing that when you remove partially, isn't at all adhesive.

hmmm. Scared to progress!

Hmm I am trying to remember here as it was a couple of years ago... Mine were applied reversely too, but they would be...

When you've removed the first sheet, just gingerly touch a corner of a decal, feel any adhesive there?

I wil get them out again and check, but i seem to remember there being no obvious adhesive. I mean there must be some or they wouldn't all be sandwiched together, but they aren't 'sticky' enough to stick on a frame.

Genuine Merlin decals?

Merlin wouldn't reply to my enquiring e-mails so I got mine from Rob Fisk who just happened to be selling a set (he's got a Merlin Mountain as well). He did say that they were genuine and I applied them in the fashion mentioned with no problems at all. :?

yeah official from 2001. But they aren't thick enough to be laser cuts thinking about it.

Merlin wouldn't reply to me either, but that said they were incredibly good when I was after a replacement shock for an Echo, they were so helpful it put some British distributers to shame.

if they are waterslide decals you have , there is one way to tell

if they are on a square piece of backing paper , remove a small corner of one , (the backing paper, not the actual decal) , and put it in warm water

if it goes slimey/ sticky thats what they are

Thanks Slim, will have a go this weekend. Or maybe I'll just put it off and be scared of thema bit longer so that people still ask me if it's a 'Mountain' as opposed to an XLM because it doesn't say XLM on the top tube! :)

That said, most people say 'nice MArin' if they comment at all out on the hills as the Merlin is so squashed up it looks like Marin in a way.

Just to add to the confusion mine were really thin too. Hmm, I'm at a loss then... Pritt-stick? ;)

Hang-on! Something filtering through the old grey matter. I had some instructions with mine. I think I remember now, pretty sure you're right, I had to wet them before applying.

Sorry, I've replaced a few decals since then... :oops:

Back