Grove Hard Core frameset

Looks a beaut Melvin,

really nice simple lines and a nice workhorse deore DX drivetrain (my favorite groupset). I am keeping an eye out for a 31.8 DX front mech for you, the suntour looks out of place somehow.

Were you looking for a DX headset too ? what size does it take ?, not saying the campy looks out of place though - just wondering .

where do you get the anodised cable outer ends from ?, nice touch.

great bike ;)

Lee

Thanks guys!

A great workhorse it is! The sturdy chassis and the durable powder coating make it an excellent pick for that purpose. The mostly DX parts do complement that really well.

Lee,

I do know for sure I have a XT mech in that size laying around. Could put that one on the MC-COMP (mostly XT) and that DX mech on the Grove. But by doing that XC Ltd mech won't be used, as it isn't at its place at any of my bikes. It's to young to retire. I am to lazy to sell.

Back in the day I always rode with parts I coincidently had laying at my place, irrespective of what make or colour. I can tell that led to really wild creations. But it worked! Only in 2000 or so I started to develop a more critical attitude towards consistency. Then I became more aware of the vintage/classic aspect of the stuff I used. Of course also had more money and prices sank.

Besides the XC Ltd mech and Euclid headset, also the bb is a bit a outcast. It is a XC Pro unit.

Red cable ends: Used 3. The cableguides are non slotted and pretty deep, so using more doesn't make sense + that I used the thicker old XT cables for the brakes. I got them through Ernie. Ernie => Here! See he raised the price a bit :(

- Melvin

Mel,

I'm in total agreement with ya'...for a bike that is going to be ridden hard, tromping through woods and field, nothing beats a "use what you got" attitude.

In a few years when the frame has suffered it's share of bumps and bruises and has earned a new finish, then is the time to adorn it with a few consistant and bling pieces...til then, thrash it :twisted:

cheers,

rody

rody":323dhjox said:
Mel,

I'm in total agreement with ya'...for a bike that is going to be ridden hard, tromping through woods and field, nothing beats a "use what you got" attitude.

In a few years when the frame has suffered it's share of bumps and bruises and has earned a new finish, then is the time to adorn it with a few consistant and bling pieces...til then, thrash it :twisted:

cheers,

rody

excellent philosophy :twisted:

and great bike :D

Thank you

I made a more extensive photocoverage of the project from start to finished result and you can view it here

493037228_ba2e3497b0_b.jpg

Want to see really many Groves? Visit MTB-news.de, the classic section. There is a Grove topic on there with plenty very nice Groves.

Elev12k":1y4bpngg said:
Thank you

I made a more extensive photocoverage of the project from start to finished result and you can view it here

493037228_ba2e3497b0_b.jpg

Want to see really many Groves? Visit MTB-news.de, the classic section. There is a Grove topic on there with plenty very nice Groves.

Awesome! I'll check the thread and the site out, this weekend, for sure.

:D

Nice to see this thread resurrected, I stumbled across this a while ago and still think it's one of the nicest bikes on this site :)

Grove

Im so jealous ;)

This Grove is just perfect...One of my favorite bikes and yours is no exception.

I think for me it would be like finding the holy grail if i EVER stumble onto a GROVE frame for sale :roll:

Awesome mate!

Back