Avid Mechanical disc compatibility

biggins

Retro Guru
I am considering an Avid mechanical disc on the front of my Zaskar. The forks have disc mounts, frame doesn't hence only looking at front. Trouble is I run 1999 XT combined brake and gear shifters. Will the avid discs be compatible with the pull of the 99 XT levers? It will save me buying new shifters and keep the same brakes levers for front and back.

I fear, being annaly retententive, odd levers might distract me on the trail!!

biggins":1jg7mwav said:
I am considering an Avid mechanical disc on the front of my Zaskar. The forks have disc mounts, frame doesn't hence only looking at front. Trouble is I run 1999 XT combined brake and gear shifters. Will the avid discs be compatible with the pull of the 99 XT levers?

Yes.. that'll work just fine.

the avid mechs work (beautifully) with any linear-pull (non-canti) lever. i recommend the bb7s. the pad adjuster dials are convenient. i find they need a touch after every wheel removal.

BB7s not bad, should work fine with any V lever
The dial adjusters do tend to seize though..

I'm running BB5s with SunTour ergotec levers on my XC1, and they are great. One point to note is that I had to set them up so that the cable pull arm on the disc caliper was part of the way into its travel trather than on the stop, and I thought this might lead to pad drag but it didn't - result! They have very good modulation set up like this too.

Back