How easy are Maguras..

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
..To Bleed? I'm thinking of putting a spare set of HS33s on my Saracen to better cope with stopping a touring rig. Being a Saracen of a certain age, it has an internally routed back brake cable. Actuall it is still running the original Shimano cable from 1990!
The neater solution would be to run the hose throught the frame. Obviously this would mean bleed ing the system. I remember Jez(?) struggling so is this OK to attempt?

Ta.

Iwasgoodonce":3hanyh6n said:
..To Bleed? I'm thinking of putting a spare set of HS33s on my Saracen to better cope with stopping a touring rig. Being a Saracen of a certain age, it has an internally routed back brake cable. Actuall it is still running the original Shimano cable from 1990!
The neater solution would be to run the hose throught the frame. Obviously this would mean bleed ing the system. I remember Jez(?) struggling so is this OK to attempt?

Ta.

5 minute job off the bike, a bit longer on the bike. The trick is gravity ;)

I should expand really :oops: :oops:

get two 8mm spanners to make life easy on yourself (particularly if you are using braided hose)
push one piece of clear pipe onto one barbed fitting
Push 2nd piece onto other barbed fitting
fill syringe to the max with Magura Blood (with no air :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: )
Undo bleed bolt on brake (wheel end), fit syringe onto clear pipe/barbed fitting
get the lever end up high
undo bleed bolt on the lever
fit 2nd clear pipe/barbed fitting
now you need three hands :LOL:
put top bleed pipe into Blood bottle
gently push Magura Blood in the bottom (wheel) end
watch old blood and air and crap come out the top end
when you are getting clean blood and no air stop pushing syringe
carefully undo barbed fitting from syringe/wheel end
quickly fit bleed bolt back
repeat at top
bled brakes....
;)

What he said :) Small tip, once it is bled and you are ready to take the syringe off put your finger over the end of the pipe at the lever end. This just means the fluid cant flow back through the system by gravity. Means you are not in such a rush to get the bleed bolt back in and means you dont drop it and have to watch it roll under the big tool chest that takes 2 people to move.... Not that I speak from experience or anything :oops:

Pip

Off on a slight tangent... If I wanted to fit Magura's (just an idea that I'm toying with...), do I need anything else from the brake kit?

i.e. Do I need anything more than this to mount them to an Alu bike with standard canti brake bosses?

FunkyMrMagic":17zktux5 said:
i.e. Do I need anything more than this to mount them to an Alu bike with standard canti brake bosses?

Yeah, that's just brakes....you need a few extras, depends if you are being Period Correct or not as to what you need?

First and Second Gen Magura's have very specific mounts, then they went EVO and then EVO II. (The mounts/boosters are all slightly different), also need one Hour Glass bolt for each wheel and some spacers (assuming you want them quick release)

leave well alone. I tried twice. After lots of mess I gave a shop to do. Then it was easy. Gave in the morning collected end of the day :D

Back