Bob Jackson - New Groupset?

Oms

Dirt Disciple
Just checked with the original owner: 'tis a 1969 (if not a 196:cool:. That's fourty years old!!

I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was interested in a frame, so as to have a permanent bike on the turbo-trainer...

...he offered me this Bob Jackson frame, however when I learned about the history of the frame, I HAD to build it up properly.

He ordered it from Bob Jackson WAY back when he was 18. He had to wait months and months for it... and he's had it ever since.

It has been resprayed/modified a number of times. I'm told that back in the day, it was a race frame.

Some of you may disagree with old-meets-new style of bike build. I have my reasons... and they are:

1) Money - I have many of the parts already
2) Personal preference - I quite like the idea of it!

Enjoy the pics:

There's something about that logo that I love.
IMG_1253.jpg

My build so far (before the final respray). Cinelli bars and stem not fitted yet.
IMG_1248.jpg

Yes, that's right. 40 year old 531 tubing.
IMG_1209.jpg

Old canti-bosses & bridge were SO outdated that I had to remove them. I couldn't get anything to fit. They were awfully close together... so goodness knows what was fitted on them originally.
IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Rear derailleur is an Ultegra SL SS.
IMG_1250.jpg

Front derailleur is a 105 (double probably).
IMG_1251.jpg

Cranks will be FSA Gossamer Mega Exo Double (in black). I stuck my triples on there just to check the chain line... and it's a no go.
IMG_1252.jpg

Cranks and BB cups fitted (not the final items).
IMG_1262.jpg

My choice of wheels (heavy but decent quality IMO).
IMG_1256.jpg

Front complete with brake. I had to drill a bit in order for the frame to take an 'allen' fitting caliper.
IMG_1257.jpg

Rear complete wirh 8 speed cassette. 10 speed wouldn't fit in the frame... PLUS I couldn't get downtube shifters in 10 spd, so 8 will do. Rear brige is blatently much higher than the front - therefore will require a very long drop caliper (ordered a dia-compe caliper - on its way).
IMG_1258.jpg

Good clearance in case I fancy a touring tyre.
IMG_1264.jpg

My choice of pedal (50% off means it becomes my obvious first choice!!).
IMG_1265.jpg

I happened to have this lying around...
IMG_1255.jpg

Teflon cables.
IMG_1266.jpg

I'm not sure about these brake levers... they look uncomfortable. I may change them to something else.
IMG_1267.jpg

Opinions/comments welcome... just please be tactful.

would have liked to see retro parts or built as a fixed/singlespeed, but its not my bike :LOL: , look forward to seeing your updates. Are BJ's doing the respray?

clunker":3t2ksj2d said:
would have liked to see retro parts or built as a fixed/singlespeed, but its not my bike :LOL: , look forward to seeing your updates. Are BJ's doing the respray?

Yes they are... but Argos removed the old bosses. I did the drilling for the brakes.

My friend only gave me the frame unfortunately. This is the best I can do for now...

...PS I might be able to get hold of ancient dura-ace shifters if it makes you feel better!

:)

Good project mate, going to be nigh on impossible to source period correct components for that setup so I see no probs with sticking new parts on it.

1969 the summer of love, even I wasn't born then. Makes me feel young again and reminds me of old racer projects that my dad built up way back in the 70's :)

I couldn't get anything to fit...

...the bosses were too close together, so nothing would work.

The frame was passed down to me by it's original owner.

It was originally a race frame, with various bits added to it over its lifetime (to turn it into a tourer). It has therefore already been 'butchered' a number of times over the years!

The current rusty paintjob is not even original.

Steel frame = Frame for life... Strip, mod & repaint as many times as you like IMO.

Latest Photos:

I went for the Shimano R400 brake levers in the end. Much comfier, and the quality if much better.
IMG_1268.jpg

Cinelli stem. This will be pilished back to the original aluminium finish,
IMG_1269.jpg

Cinelli bars. These will be polished down so that all scratches are removed out of 'sight'. Areas under the bar tape aren't a concern to me. Logos may disappear.
IMG_1270.jpg

Dia compe rear extra long reach caliper arrived. I had to modify it in order to fit the new 'allen' fitting. I wish I had left the rear bridge alone now!!!
IMG_1271.jpg

The Dura-Ace shifters I sourced were a bit rusty and looked a bit sorry for themselves. Furthermore, I suspected that they were 9 speed (as opposed to 10). Not happy with the finish, I returned them in order to get some brand new R400 shifters. Much better IMO - I love the heavier metal finish.
IMG_1272.jpg

That's it- I'm pooped. Nite nite.

hamster":1brmuao9 said:
The narrow bosses were for Mafac cantis.

Hiya,

I have checked with the original owner, and the bosses were added to the frame 15 years after it was purchased... so they were designed for something available at around 1984.

If anything... I've returned the frame to its original condition (although I haven't removed the rack mounts, or dynamo mount - which were also added in 1984).

UPDATE:

Here's the promised compact double. I've gone for a 34/48.
IMG_1274.jpg

Bottom bracket spacers. My knees prefer it, plus it'll help the chain line.
IMG_1276.jpg

Checking that cables etc all fit and are good to go:
IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

Compact fitted with pedals:
IMG_1287.jpg

So far, so good:
IMG_1283.jpg

Back