DMR Trailstar - BB dilema

great . im sure you will like it

its hard to describe the satin silver , its not like normal paint , it seems to tarnish with dirt and is hard to scratch

clearest pic i have

dscf0779-1.jpg

Well it finally turned up today and unfortunately the paint condition wasn't as good as i'd hoped. Love the brushed steel finish though. I think this frame is a bit of an oddball too as it has the oversize bmx BB but also came with water/crud bosses! Didn't expect to see those on it, was a pleasant surprise.

Instead of even thinking of trying to save the paint or what nice bits there are left I though i'd move on to option 2 of my plans for the frame... STRIP IT! The decals were pretty much eaten but the frame was straight and rust free. Seeing as it was going to be SS the cable guides were getting the chop...so within an hour of the frame landing in my grubby hands I was off to the inlaws to raid the workshop :)

Couldn't bring myself to touch the asp mounts so they've been left.

Decals have been accurately repro'd at full scale and frame positions noted for if and when i get round to getting some printed. Have no idea yet of what colour sheme to go for or if i'll try and replicate the brushed steel effect.. might just go for something totally different with some custom decals.

a few pics of todays fun
DSC00274.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC0027701.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

Tstar-stars.jpg

thats a proper craftmans workshop , i spy a wooden mallet among all the tools

what colour are you going for ?

i think once they changed them to the APS you could only get them bmx bb/horizontals . mtb bb/vertical and they all had the bottle/crud mounts at that point

i took all the guides off mine too . if you have access to brazing stuff it would be worth putting hose guides on

00003-3.jpg

The workshop belonged to my gf's late father who passed away a few years back now, he was a tool maker and could put his hand to just about anything. it's nice seeing the place getting some minor use again. hunting for the right tools can be a mission but you never know what you'll find in there. has just about everything you would need tucked away.
And a mallet did come in handy! :LOL:

Im sure there must be brazing gear in there somewhere not that i'll ever have the skills to know what i was doing. Would have been ideal though to get some hose guides put on. I think ill have to work round it. Been thinking of alternative options instead of the good ol zip ties.

Your bike has been a slight inspiration ;) I like the no fuss/simpleness of the build, i think thats what attracted me to the dmr in the first place, plus i want it to get some good use and the frame will certainly stand up to that.

Colour wise not sure yet. If poss i'd like to keep to the silver but i reckon getting the desired brush effect could be tricky. If not some nice solid colour. Was even thinking a brown with contrasting decals in orange maybe? Im liking the natural colours, greens, browns..something earthy. Maybe even deep aubergine!
I need to study my pantone book for some inspiration

i was considering brown at one point as well as mustards . good earthy colours to blend into the surroundings , i was looking at some nice cream bob jacksons and where i was riding at the time the dirt was a light colour so it didnt stick out so much that i never clean it :LOL:

i wasnt sure when i was doing it if the gloss would be durable but its been fine so far . if i do scratch it ( normally on the down tube by the bottom bracket ) i go over it with a kitchen scourer and brush some more on

its very much a bike that can stand a lot of neglect , something that can see a lot of miles without constant cleaning and adjusting . im actually looking forward to winter so i can get out in the rain and mud , be less flys too

Glad I didn't bid against you! :cool:

My willpower didn't last long though... should be getting mine collected next week :roll: :LOL:

did you go for one of the new ones ?

so its neither of you who are bidding me up on the dark blue one :LOL:

Mine's coming from this very forum... I stopped looking on eBay with the thought that I'll take the saracen to Le Mans*, sell it when I get back and then look for something new. But then some 'helpful' soul pointed out exactly what I was looking for. What can I say, I'm weak! :LOL:

*no, not ride it toLM, just ride it around whilst there to save the silly amounts of walking that are usually involved!

i think i saw that actually now i think about it

be interesting to see what parts you both use . no two ever seem to look the same

ive spent today stripping my forks to paint cream

It's good you finally found one now Ziggy, it sounded like a nice frame and should be in good nick. I even messaged the same guy about the other parts he has up for sale.. i'll be tempted if funds allow but holding back for now.

Spend what seems like forever stripping the frame today back to metal, almost there with it. My fingers are raw! That silver finish certainly isnt made to come off the damn thing :LOL: Nearly there tho, a few hours tomorrow and it should be ready for its primer sometime this week.

Parts wise i'm pretty much decided on (kinda) with respect of seat post, seat, stem, bars etc. Have an idea for brakes and the wheels/hubs. Want to use some dmr parts where i can. The cranks are doing me in a bit.. Maybe a 2 piece affair like the dmr chieftain or similar altho im liking the middleton rs7 with splinedrive. Still unsure whether to fully utilise the US sized BB or use a mtb BB instead with the wondercups. Its hard trying not to run away with it til i've atleast completed the frame!

completed the final DMR decal last night ready for whichever guise is needed
Tstar-dmr.jpg

Back