Treaded - A-head conversion

Halfprice

Dirt Disciple
Hi
I am looking to convert my Dave Yates Diablo to a fully ridged single speed. It currently has a set of MX comps on and I want to put the original project 2s back on. Has anyone here used one of those extensions that allow you to run an a-head stem on a treaded fork and if so does it allow you to use an a-head head set or do I still have to use a treaded head set?

Hi!

Pretty sure you have to keep the threaded headset, think the adaptor looks like the quill of a regular stem with a smooth bit at the top for the aheadstem to clamp onto :D

Stu

Agree with Stu. I've done this on my Pace. Kept the Mavic threaded headset and threaded steerer and then the adaptor goes inside the steerer with an expanding wedge just like a quill stem and sits proud to allow an aheadstem to fit. Mine's a one inch steerer with a one inch adaptor and I've shimmed it to take a 1&1/8th ahead stem. GT used to have a similar sort of thing on their '92 range. The 'Flip-Flop' stem had expanding wedges either end (one to go in steerer, one to secure the stem which had no clamping bolts) and pre-dated Dia-Compe's Aheadstem system. Sorry, bit of useless info for you there...

Thanks you have both confirmed what I thought. It just adds to the project cost as I now need to buy a new 1" treaded headset. :( . I do have the original unit but it is pretty kanckerd. I do have a mint flex stem that coud go on in place of the syncross stem I had been planning on using....

If it was me I'd stick with the syncros... Never been a fan of flex stems... Bring back horrible memories of a friend's Raleigh Ukon...

Back